Stable manners

Chrisnscully

Banned
Aug 11, 2007
Scully is becoming very difficult in her stable - she used to be fine, you could walk in and she would stand there and let you put the head collar on with no fuss at all. A couple of weeks ago I went in and she span and tried to kick. It took a while to get her to face me and allow me to put the head collar on - once it is on it is fine. Since then, every day we go through this routine, she turns her back on me, I use various ways of turning her, either grooming ( which she loves) or "lassoing" her with a lunge line - dropping it over her neck and then clipping it to itself. Once she is facing me, I have no problem in getting the collar on and she leads out of the stable nicely.

Any ideas on how I can get her to stop this silliness? Or is it just a baby thing? Or is she just saying "I am asleep, go away!" She is out all night - in at 8AM and out again at 4pm - needless to say when it is time to go out she almost puts the head collar on herself!

Hiya chris.
Well we have the same with Freddie {loan sec a} she either shows her bum, spins round or pretends to kick, but still feels like she is going to.
The only way we got round it was gaining eye contact with her before entering the stable, if she showed her bum then we didnt go near the stable, not talking top her or even letting her know we wanted her,we either waited for her to turn round and wonder what was going on, or make a loud noise to grab her attention, or chat away to other people.
Then when she 'snapped' out of it,gave us eye contact, approach the stable, and relax, sounds silly but sort of exhailed.
Although she always nows which days to pull the 'stunts; on, the days we wanted to ride her and didnt have time for the sillyness. HTH

Sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with your horse, Noodle, except for being ridden, which it sounds like she really dislikes. I wonder if her saddle or something might be hurting her.

I'd say if this tactic works, great! Just remember to reinforce that good behaviour with desirable consquences, not sabotage it with unpleasant stuff. However, horses often need stronger reinforcement than attention from a human. I would make a program out of reinforcing the 'right' behaviour, both negatively(removal of pressure you put on her while she's showing her butt) and positively(addition of something good such as a treat) and avoid doing anything unpleasant with her for now until she is consistently giving you the correct behaviour.

I would also be considering whatever it is that she finds so unpleasant(maybe riding) and working towards changing her attitude about that so that the cause of the 'rudeness' is no more either.

Puzzle used to do this, it is really bad manners, have you tried catching his attention by calling his name? Also (opps here comes the slander) offer a treat over the stable door when he comes over slip the headcollar on and then reward with it. Then swap the treat for a good fuss. :)
Also a very very good tip i can give you which works a treat with Puzzle is dont always go in the stable when you want something of your horse, go in for no reason, just for a fuss or with an apple or carrot, so he doesnt associate you with work all the time.
I 99% have good manners from him now, still working on the mare hehe.

newrider.com