Stable Bandages- pros and cons

Ipsa

Dec 25, 2000
North Auckland New Zealand
Visit site
Just wondering what everyone thinks about using stable bandages or knows of any links to discussions about them.
Over here most horses are kept out at grass all year and when they go to shows etc overnight they are put in grass pens. There seems to be an increasing trend to put stable bandages on them and I am wondering what the benefits would be.
I don't want to do something to my horse cos it's the latest fad I like to know the reasoning behind it. Obviously they might protect them against knocks I think they have more opportunity for knocks in their paddocks than in a small pen.
I read somewhere that they stop the legs from filling and swelling- is this true?
Thanks in advance.
:)

they can help to prevent filled legs, and if a horse has an injury on one leg, then you can bandage the other leg to help support it, as the horse will be taking more weight on it to rest the bad one. they often wear stable bandages the night before a show just to keep their legs clean, especially if they have white socks.
the main risk is that they will chew the bandage, or it might slip, and slipped bandages can cut off the blood supply and cause some really nasty injuries. you'd be amazed at the damage it can do. when copper had cellulitis last year, he had to wear bandages over night, and on the last night it rained (he was out in a paddock on vets advice) and the bandage shrunk as it got wet. he got a big swelling where it had tightened, then a large scab which dropped off eventually and the hair grew back white. i wouldn't advise putting bandages on over night if you don't need to - if the horse got it wet, or tried to pull it off you could have a nasty injury on your hands.

I've been wrapping overnight in stable bandages (and lots of liniment) after major exercise. I think it's helping to support veeeeery tired legs.

I'm planning to start turning Kat out in splint boots as we get near a show, since my horses seem determined to break themselves if they hear about showing ;) I don't want to do it all the time, as junk could get under the boots and rub (mud, grit). But if I'm worried about her injuring herself, that's what I'm going to use. The week before a show I ride her 2x a day and keep her in at night, and groom her vigorously, anyway--so making sure the splint boots are set right and she's clean underneath will be no problem.

punch has been wearing bandages on all fours for months now,even more so since the op.I have found that wearing them whilst hes stabled has stopped his hind legs from filling,and that the problems with stiffness(old age)don't seem so bad.Hes currently only wearing the fronts strapped at the moment hopefully as he becomes less lame,he won't need them.i think they are worth using if you have a old horse or one who has problems with legs filling etc.Just be sure to keep a close eye on how they are fitted!

newrider.com