squeeze or small kick to get horse going faster?

Murphley Moo

Jun 5, 2009
Hiya, if you want your horse to go faster, should you squeeze with your legs or give a small kick? My horse likes to plod at the rs and if i just squeeze he continues to plod like he hasn't even felt it !!!!!

It very much depends on the horse.

If I gave my mare a small kick then we'd be in the next county very quickly because I have been working towards lightening the aids.

When learning though, be guided by your riding instructor.

After a period of time you will hopefully get a feel for the horse you are riding although from I can remember about initially learning to ride I was concentrating so much on me that I wasn't able to feel what the horse was doing. That'll all come with time and experience ;)

I've struggled with this kind of thing with RS horses, and I used to think I would 'hurt them' if I asked for more. But, with practise, you can ask in a more positive, assertive way without being forceful. With me, a lot of it was about intention. Horses know when you don't mean it! I was nervous in the past and simply didn't want the horse to go faster or bigger. Now I am more confident and forward thinking, so are the horses.

One pony in particular, I always thought of as a plod, and I often couldn't get her out of walk (and sometimes she would just halt in a corner and stay there). Now when I ride her she is wonderfully light, responsive and forward-going. Same pony, different attitude and approach by me!

Thinking light...

One of my old RS instructors told me 'think light, shoulders back and chest out' so beginning your request (in this case quicken the pace) with a internal positive intention. Works most times I have found, but to be sure there are some RS horses and ponies that have just tuned out and don't want to be in that environment anymore.:rolleyes: Hope you have more success in your next lesson )...

When Mum rode Doey a couple of weeks back, when I said 'and prepare to walk on' he stuck her legs out at the sides and gave her a proper 'first lesson on an RS pony kick'.

Thank God Doey is, well, Doey, and had her 'oh dear Lord a beginner' head on and didn't go anywhere. Instead she just looked at me like 'Lynz, can you sort her out?!'

I then explained to my mum that for this particular horse, a gentle nudge would suffice, unless she fancied jumping the arena fencing.

Rode a proper ploddy thing once, kick kick kick kick ok still nothing kick kick kick argh gona have to tap with the whip aha now we have trot oh wait no you have stopped again!!!

So yeah, depends on the horse ;)

Rode a proper ploddy thing once, kick kick kick kick ok still nothing kick kick kick argh gona have to tap with the whip aha now we have trot oh wait no you have stopped again!!!
QUOTE]
He he ... been there too !!!

I agree with the others, it totally depends on the horse you are riding, and at what level you are at.
A horse will have you sussed out before you are even on its back :p

I didn't like it cos at the end of the lesson when i was just sitting on him talking his ears were right back - doesn't that mean they are not happy! Mind you - i'm not suprised - i must have confused the heck out of the poor chap!!!

Storm needs no kicking at all! If you want trot, say it, or just gently squeeze. For canter, just think it and she'll go! lol, if she won't go off my "thought aids" a slightly firmer squeeze does the trick. Honestly, she is fabulously responsive - am so lucky, I know some people really struggle to get their horses going and keen. Joe is very lazy, OH can keep up the momentum with him, but I can't get much more than a limp trot!!!!

[

I.
A horse will have you sussed out before you are even on its back :p

Thats so true. When I was learning at first, I used to get really frustrated as the riding school horse I was on would often just stop dead with me and as for trying to get it to canter, we won't go there! One day, I asked the teacher why she thought this was and she said basically he's got me pegged before I even get on board!:p

newrider.com