Square cantle..round cantle...what is the difference?

Jan 10, 2003
Isle of Man
After advised to look at the Saddle Company saddles as well, came across these nice looking half synthetic half leather saddles, but some are square cantle, and other round.

http://www.bettersaddles.co.uk/acatalog/Verona.html

http://www.thesaddlecompany.co.uk/

What is the benefit of each?

It says that the square gives a more spacious feel for the rider, and the round gives a deeper feeling for secure seat. As I like a secure seat should I be look at the round?

I asked the self same question - it's pretty much a question of styling apparently, though the square cantle is better if you are going to a lot of jumping, for obvious reasons:)

A square cantle will generally give you a flatter more open seat. A round cantle give a deeper seat. Often manufacturers will use different trees too when building the saddles. A square cantle saddle will normally be made on a flatter tree which is also preferred for cob types.... or anything a little on the 'rounder' side ;)

i have a saddle company saddle which has the round cantle and i love! makes me feel really secure ! (apart from when i fall off!!!!) hee hee.

although, apparently the square cantle can suit some horses better? first time i'd heard that the other week when there was a different saddle fitter on the yard. she said the square cantle was a little more on top of the horse??? i'd always thought it was a rider preference?

anyway, saddle co saddles are great !!!!!

Lucy, my saddler said the same thing. I have ordered a Saddle Co saddle and originally wanted a round cantle but after seeing the square one on Ellie I much prefered it. The saddler said the square suited her better too. I know if the saddle is quite a hard one to make, they sometimes say you might not get a choice in cantle, they will just use whatever will make the better saddle, my friends horse has a very odd shaped back and they said that to her.

newrider.com