Spring Grass and loopy horses

Barcie

May 19, 2005
berkshire
Now that the spring grass is coming through are your horses started misbehaving.

My boy has now decided that he just does not want to be caught ndwon't even be tempted by a bucket. He is getting quite disrepectful in th field turnn his bum on me and kicking up if he is not interested in coming in.

Once causght through leaving head collar on and bribes of food he is as good as gold. I hope I don't have to put up with this all spring!!

Anyboy else noticing the behaviour changes lack of respect whe eating grass!!

Well, if you had the choice of going to work or spending all day stuffing your face with delicious new grass which would you choose?:D

I always know when spring has arrived as Rio, who spends all winter coming down to the gate on a call, goes completely deaf and doesn't budge an inch from where she's grazing once the grass is through:)

I posted a couple of weeks ago as my boy has been mis-behaving lately and everyone said its probably just the time of year. Do you have any mares turned out with or near him as this affects my boy.
When I rode him Saturday he thought he was at the grand national kept leaping in the air then doing race starts!! Was funny but very naughty.
Dont worry I am sure he will calm down soon if he is not usually like this.
How long have you owned him>> Has he been like it before??

He has alawys been a bit of a pig when it comes to grass and completely ignores me and turns away when I approach him if there is any decent grass in his field. I have had him since last summer so this is the first spring grass that I am seeing him with.

May just start to leave him out at night if he is starting to play silly buggers. He is also the only gelding and is in a field seperate from the mares (he can still see them and the olders mares are next to him). He therefore has no competition for the grass except me when I come to take him in!! Then its game time !!!:)

I'm so jelous :( I can just about cope with a nutty, excited or naughty horse but I hate seeing a very skinny one! We need grass!! :eek: :D

Not yet ... I have been gradually introducing 'Just Grass' into her diet, though, which is a young grass and is supposed to 'ease' the transition from crappy grass to spring grass. We can only wait and see if it works!

Yup and my little pony is normally extremely placid!:rolleyes:

newrider.com