spring cleaning plans

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
Does anyone have any plans for spring cleaning their stable/yard/field?

I'm wanting to get another piece of tarpaulin so I can completely cover the beams over Peds stable. It's half covered at the moment. (Roof is leaky and probably won't get fixed till late spring/summer)

Then I want to get rubber matting for Peds stable and a strip of cheap stuff to line the alley in front of the stables as it gets quite slippy and B has slipped on it before (currently got a spare stable mat down but that would go into peds)

I want to sort out my tack area, send fleeces and stable rugs off to be cleaned and do a general sort through to see if I have anything I can get rid of.

In the field I want to read fence the whole field. We have an outer fence that is post and sheep wire with barbed wire on top. Then my field is separated from next doors by electric fencing (a double fence, one is next doors and one is mine) I want to get more posts and put electric tape round the whole of my field so they are away from the barbed wire. At the moment the back of the field is fenced away but not the side. And I want to put in a 'perminant' electric fence splitting my summer grazing in two. (Plus I want to get some new water buckets, stabilise the bath I use to put hay in better. Get some Dressage markers for the winter field when I'm riding in there in the summer!)

Seems like a mammoth task seeing it written down! Lol!

Anyone else got plans?

I started mine over the last few weeks whenever I got a dry day, leccy fences are mostly retensioned & posts reset, ive collected up my water tubs and scrubbed those ready for spring, took the ride on mower apart to order some parts that needs so I can start mowing back the weedy areas, my hay shed got a total clean out before my last delivery, so on the road to being sorted, I have a short section of post and rail that needs replacing, about 6 posts, hopefully I'll get a good day to do that soon :)

Gosh people are very industrious! I think cleaning my car is about the limit of my ambition. Too busy as it is :confused: !

I moved house over 2 years ago and still have pictures leaning against walls waiting to go up.

Reactions: Gimp
As we are moving I thought I had already spring cleaned months ago but no, still plenty to go at! I have two or three bagged up stable rugs waiting to be taken to the charity where we got Chloe from. And also lots of other bits and pieces. The car (Licky the Landy) had a full muck out yesterday cos it got traded in against a newer motor. Lol you should have seen the stuff we found inside it.....least I found out where my leccy fencing energiser thingy was!

Reactions: Jessey and KP nut
I try and keep on top of things but in a months time the rubber mats come out as the boys will be leaving out from next week. They get scrubbed and stored at the back of one of the stables. All the rugs go for cleaning but not until June when I know I have finished with them all.

I have a lot to do in my field but it's all planned and hopfully will go smoothly. We are getting a digger in and basically digging a small river/burn the full length of the field which will run out into the woods burn at the bottom and the existing drainage burn at the top. Will make 2 bridges with railway sleepers and grass mats for anti slip though really I expect Neala will just jump it but I'm not so sure Torin will. I have porous crumb rubber mats I am going to be laying a 12mx4m section topped with the some size geotextile membrane which will be getting laid with 20ish tonne of road planings on top in the bottom winter section. Got an old flatbed trailer that we are removing the frame and I am going to be making it into a slow feeder with a large slot in haynet top that will be sat permanently onto the planings area. Replacing my electric plastic fence posts with wooden separating the summer and winter grazing. I started an area in front of the hemmel that is 15mx3m of grass mats topped with pea gravel. I'm extending that to 16x4m and adding 4 permanent wooden posts to tension my electric ones. This is not going to be easy as it's bloody stoney ground and getting an electric fence post spike in is a mammoth task! The area inside is split into 2,I am going to lay the whole are with rubber matting and remove the gate into the stable side. The inside and outside area will then basically be a large turnout/stable area for Neala and Torin to share with bedding in the stable area,the rest rubber and the outside front but pea gravel. It will be 16mx8m when finished and will be my day/night bring in area depending in the time of year.Then just simple things like putting up more tie rings which will be easy! Need to attack a couple of the trees as have some low hanging branches that are looking less than safe and will have to attack my hawthorn bushes again along the fence lines so they are kept back off the electric. Also stopping my automatic water tank and adding a tap onto the pipe instead. The trough is a pain to keep clean and I'd rather have a tap to fill buckets daily with and be done with the trough. Busy summer but will be worth it next winter.

Reactions: Jessey
Gosh people are very industrious! I think cleaning my car is about the limit of my ambition. Too busy as it is :confused: !

I moved house over 2 years ago and still have pictures leaning against walls waiting to go up.
My car is so full of junk and tack and rain gear and its an effort every time I need to give anyone else a lift as I have to clear them a space, but my hay shed its tidy and organised :p

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com