Sprenger Flexible Safety Stirrups

I've used them. Here's my opinion about their pro's and con's:

Pro's-they really helped keep my leg long and heels down. Also gave more support while jumping (not sure why) and would definaltly help in a fall.
Con's-they were a little awkward at first.

Hope this is some kind of help. I think you'd really enjoy them (although they spoiled me a bit when I had to go back to my old stirrups!)

I dont have the springger ones, they where cheaper but they do the same thing they got the jointed sides. I like them I didn't really find them to be ackward at all and they really help me keep my heels down and they take some presure off of my really bad knees. they usually bother me after a really long ride with my heels down alot or if I'm jumping big but since I got the new sturips they dont and I can ride all day :) lol

I use Sprengers because of my dodgy knees and now would never use anything else. They absorb a lot of the shock usually taken by your knees and ankles when you're jumping. The cheaper versions aren't so fantastic, they're only 2 or 3 jointed and don't feel as "spongy".

A friend of mine demolished a pair of Sprengers to see what was actually under the rubber (yep, £82 worth of stirrup JUST cos she's nosey!) and it's kinda like a bicycle chain... very flexible!

I use Sprengers because of my arthritis and do not have one bad thing to say about them apart from the expense.
They are very safe and very shock absorbent. They help keepy your joints soft and your heel down and leg secure. They help with support in jumping, I feel I can get my leg under me better because the stirrup moves to accomodate my foot position and helps the heel stay down, and it helps in a fall as it bends over.

I have them and agree with Horsegal, the only downside for me is if I ever have ride in other stirrups, as the Sprengers are so good I've been spoiled. And they definitely assisted me with my position. :D

Incidentally, I bought them to assist me when I ride as I dislocated my left knee when I was 17 and occasionally get severe residual pain when I ride. They've pretty much eliminated this for me, but as with anything, they might not do this for everyone.

I'd love a pair as I have stiff ankles and dodgy knees and hips from falls (hehe I sound like a write off!) but can;t afford them on a student budget!

Thanks! I'm convinced now!:D I'd never even considered them before because nobody I have ever known has ever had them so I just never took much notice of them. Maybe I just have poor friends;)

Then the other day I tried a hrose for a friend. He was 17.2hh so ridicously big for be and a H/W hunter and all he'd ever done was hunted and he had a mouth like concrete and star gazing didn't even come close:rolleyes: But he had theses stirrups and they were the only good thing about him, they were absolute heaven. But I just wanted to make sure they were that good on every horse and not just so good because he was so awful! All I could tell my friend after was how wonderful his stirrups were!!

I've got arthritis in my hips, knees & back and they always giving me problems. We did a dressage competition today and we only did one test and my knees have seased up on me and I can bairly walk. I never realised they were good for things like that, us dodgy knackered people I mean:D But I suppose if you think about it they would be (usually try not to think).

And the more help in a fall the better!

Calsanjo I wouldn't mind having the money your friend must have:eek: I would be interesting to know though.

O yeah now I know this is going to sound a really stupid question with probably a really obvious answer but they are BD legal aren't they?? Just making sure as I really have never ever seen anybody ride in them and we go to affilliated dressage comptitions all the time. And for how wonderful I found them, if they were legal, you'd think everybody would want them!!!

Thanks again!

Torx

Well Tor, I do dressage in mine, and if anyone says I can't, I'll have to beat them about the head with them!

They do help with the aches and pains - I have very bad joints and need all the help I can get!

I have the cheaper Dublin ones as well, but prefer the Sprenger.
I wanted them for ages, but couldn't afford them. One day I took my old synthetic saddle into the local tack shop to sell, and someone had brought in some Sprengers. They were the right size, so I swapped my saddle for the Sprengers and some stirrup leathers! Came home very pleased!

Mine aren't Sprengers but similar and not much cheaper and I wouldn't be without them. They save on creaky knees, and the way I look at it if I get a more comfortable ride so must Rio. They're great to trot in or ride in a forward seat at speed.

Ive used the dublin ones and I loved them so I looked up the sprenger ones on the internet - £90 :eek: :eek:

The dublin ones helped me keep my heels down and improved my whole leg position. They did squeak a little though, but it was nothing a little WD40 wouldnt stop!!

I use Sprenger stirrups. They have given me better support and shock absorsion. However, I don't particulary find that they keep my heel down (in fact, my instructor kept on and on about it the whole session).
Another pro, is that in the event of an accident, they allow the foot to get free.

Just a silly question: why is that german tack is always much more expensive in Britain than the rest of Europe? my Sprenger stirrups costed just £70. Aren't we all supposed to be in the EU?

Originally posted by Calsanjo
chapsi - probably the same reason that German horses are more expensive in the UK. We are useless at producing anything decent ourselves therefore will pay more for quality! LOL

Nah, we will just pay more anyway, whether it is quality or not!!! (Apart from me..I refuse to pay £3 for a bucket at a tack shop when they are 98p at B+Q!)

T&W, Given the price of them, and that the general consensus of opinion here seems to be that the cheaper ones don't perform quite as well as the genuine Sprengers, would it be possible for you to borrow some to try before buying? The reason I say this is that I too have Osteoarthritis in my hips and spine, and I find them no help at all. But then I have postural problems that you might not have.....or indeed from what I know from you...you may indeed have the same problems in which they might be a waste of time and £85. Sorry didn't want to spoil your fun, but have managed to help save some money to someone before by merely airing my observations. I know it would take someone generous and big hearted to lend you £85 worth of stirrups to try....but any chance........?????????:eek:

newrider.com