Spotty Pony is going to make his dressage debut

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Well no idea if he has ever done a dressage test before but I haven't done one before. Tried one just in a schooling session with him ages ago but we did have issues like corect canter lead back then :giggle:

So in a few weeks hopefully going to bring Mr Cyrus to venue that does regular dressage shows, they do a class called 'welcome to dressage' which is non affiliated and you don't have to be a member of anything and they do it for people sort of starting out in dressage and giving it a go. Class usually really small too :biggrin:

If anyone has any tips or advice they are most welcome and appreciated :biggrin:

So the test I am doing is BD prelim 4 had a look at it last night and like the test seems pretty flowing and seemed to be able to remember it ok.

So today after a warm up in walk, trot and canter decided to give it a little go on spotty boy :bounce:

I do need to work on various things and our arena is bigger than 20x60 so for the 20m circles would just use 2/3rds width of arena and for the 10m half circles they were 15 just for today :yellowcarded:

Spotty boy did fairly good, and I wasn't too bad either :giggle: and remembered the test though not all movements were exactly accurate.

Things need to work on

Making sure have a slightly more active trot from beginning

Keep canter in better rhythmn with a bit more impulsion and don't lean forward at transition which I sometimes do for no apparent reason :redcarded:

When going from trot to medium walk get the walk nice and active as have tendency for it to die a bit.

Get someone to watch to tell me if my circles are looking good

Be more accurate in movements and straighter down centre line

Things that were good

He did listen most of the time

Didn't fall in when on track and circles felt ok and he did keep his rhythmn in trot and in one canter circle did but at other on other rein broke to trot after it.

His free walk on long rein is actually quite nice, it does need to stay a bit more active but we worked on that at end when was just cooling him off and improved.

He really does stretch out and down in his free walk in a nice relaxed way but stays fairly straight from my legs without having to squeeze really much and does seem to move off the leg quite nicely so when change rein at free walk he does go from leg so don't have to 'interfere' with hands.

And when pick up reins after change of rein he stays in medium walk which is good. :happy:

So I am excited and looking forward to hopefully doing our dressage debut soon

Going to work on the various elements and issues and also have him clean and sparkling and looking smart plaited mane and everything :wub:

He had his mane pulled other day by girl who works for eventer who used to be on yard and she did a super job. I had tried doing it myself but even though I know how I am rubbish at it and takes me forever!

Trying to train it a bit to go on right side (as naturally goes on left) so its 'correct' not that it bothers me day to day but will try have it on right for show.

Here is an obligatory pic of himself (he looks a bit worried for some reason :giggle: ) with his mane on right for once (never lasts long) it had been raining a bit too so he prob looks a bit damp and his forelock goes a bit wavy in the rain :giggle:

IMG_2215.JPG

and just because he is cute and cheeky one from a week or so ago (before he got his mane done which was rather lovely when blew in the wind and stuff)

IMG_2195.JPG

Sounds like it is all going well. Really try and work on the accuracy as that will pick you up more points even if Cyrus isn't going "as he should". So make sure your circles are round and you do your changes of pace and rein at the markers. Also straightness up the centre line at the start will set you up well. You've already noticed that these are issues and tbh these are the ones I would focus on the most as they are easy ways to pick up marks, from the class title the judge will know you are just starting out so I wouldn't be too concerned with getting him working in an outline, just so long as he is forward :wink: Free walk is a good one to get right as it is a double score so if he can do it well that is a big bonus!

Oh and another important point to remember:

GET PHOTOS OF YOUR FIRST DRESSAGE TEST TOGETHER :giggle::biggrin:

I have every admiration for anyone who can ride a circle - I'm absolutely pants at it. Rubic has made some very good points ESPECIALLY the last one. Interesting about the free walk being double points too, I didn't know that and it's the one that me and Raf struggled with when we did a test. He does stretch his neck, I just don't think he's supposed to stretch it up to get a good look at what's going on :rolleyes:

Loving the Mr Spotty pics

Hehe he did look a bit worried in the first one! Hehe second pics good - looking very relaxed....

My friend was trying to get him to look at camera in 1st one :giggle: maybe he was wondering what on earth we were doing too!

Sounds like it is all going well. Really try and work on the accuracy as that will pick you up more points even if Cyrus isn't going "as he should". So make sure your circles are round and you do your changes of pace and rein at the markers. Also straightness up the centre line at the start will set you up well. You've already noticed that these are issues and tbh these are the ones I would focus on the most as they are easy ways to pick up marks, from the class title the judge will know you are just starting out so I wouldn't be too concerned with getting him working in an outline, just so long as he is forward :wink: Free walk is a good one to get right as it is a double score so if he can do it well that is a big bonus!

Oh and another important point to remember:

GET PHOTOS OF YOUR FIRST DRESSAGE TEST TOGETHER :giggle::biggrin:

Will definitely got lots of photos and maybe even a video!

Great tips, going to do lots of practice of transitions over next couple weeks being really accurate and also going to work on being straight down centre line :biggrin:

I have every admiration for anyone who can ride a circle - I'm absolutely pants at it. Rubic has made some very good points ESPECIALLY the last one. Interesting about the free walk being double points too, I didn't know that and it's the one that me and Raf struggled with when we did a test. He does stretch his neck, I just don't think he's supposed to stretch it up to get a good look at what's going on :rolleyes:

Loving the Mr Spotty pics

I used to not be able to do circles at all but have done a lot of work on them in lessons so improving at seeing where I should go and keeping him on a circle. My circles used to be ovals or random shapes :giggle:

Aw Raf just wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything :bounce:

If you give Cyrus a completely loose rein like on the buckle though he can nearly do an impression of this guy

maximus.jpg

My friend was trying to get him to look at camera in 1st one :giggle: maybe he was wondering what on earth we were doing too!

Will definitely got lots of photos and maybe even a video!

Great tips, going to do lots of practice of transitions over next couple weeks being really accurate and also going to work on being straight down centre line :biggrin:

I used to not be able to do circles at all but have done a lot of work on them in lessons so improving at seeing where I should go and keeping him on a circle. My circles used to be ovals or random shapes :giggle:

Aw Raf just wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything :bounce:

If you give Cyrus a completely loose rein like on the buckle though he can nearly do an impression of this guy

maximus.jpg

Ah I love that horse in Tangled!!! :biggrin: Honey does that too! Rubic would never stretch down and it always got us rubbish marks for our free walk :frown: but we usually got good trot marks so that made up for it. Honey has a nice walk and trot but canter is awful!

This was our last free walk which was ok!
10259821_10152097360632972_7724321108610947615_n.jpg

Aw Honey is gorgeous :biggrin:

I need to work on Cyrus's trot as it is lovely when he actually gets a move on :giggle: but I do sometimes feel I have to work a bit too hard sometimes at the beginning of a session to get it nice and active

newrider.com