sponsed ride whille stil a begiginger witout own horse?

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
strange question but is it possible to while till being a begignger without your own horse?

I think it depends where you ride. I've been on some pleasure rides where a riding school has brought a small group of their competent students. It's very dependant on the RS and their insurance I suppose.

Some rides might be suitable for a beginner but many would not. You need to be in full control of a horse in open spaces and prepared for the fact that many horses will be harder to control when surrounded by lots of others. You'd need a super sensible, reliable horse to ride and some calm, experienced company to ride with.

Its really a matter of where you might borrow a horse from, either your RS or maybe a nice friend has a spare, but as @joosie says you have to be prepared for a significantly more challenging ride than you are used to and pick your venue carefully, may of these types of rides other people won't pay too much attention to other riders and will pass and take off ahead of you and you need to be competent enough to deal with what ever your borrowed horse throws at you in those situations. TBH I would think you would be better off booking in for a hack at a nice place, rather than trying to coordinate borrowing a horse and taking to a good sponsored/pleasure ride.

I'd say the majority of sponsored rides are not suitable for beginners, you need to be secure & in control in walk, trot, and canter plus capable of staying in control if the horse gets excited. You might get groups coming past you in canter & that's enough to hot up the quietest of horses .

Even if you feel you're capable finding a horse may be difficult and expensive. The insurance issue may mean a school is reluctant to hire out, and even if they are you're going to have to pay a full day's hire as the horse won't be doing lessons before or after, probably a premium in case there's any injury, possibly for a member of staff to accompany you on another horse, transport to and from the ride & entry fees.

I think you'd probably enjoy yourself far more booking a long hack either at your riding school or somewhere else - it would be safer, cheaper and easier to arrange.

If you can borrow a horse, you can go on a sponsored ride. There are no rules saying you have to be an experienced rider. But you do need to ensure that you can control the horse at all paces and that you can cope with other horses riding up behind you/overtaking etc.

I am an experienced rider and have ridden for over 35 years, yet I am not confident enough to go on a sponsored ride. It would be dangerous to both myself, my horse and others around me.

My old riding school took riders on fun rides. Generally though fun/sponsored rides are not for a novice - a lot of horses get *very* excited

Reactions: Trewsers
Possible? - yes, wise? - probably not!

I wouldn't consider doing that and I have been riding for 30+ years. I have ridden in small groups in the open and could control a horse I knew - but an unknown horse in a sponsored ride situation where you have lots of other people doing things to excite your horse is a risk too far!

Agree with all! I had had Ramsey for 7 years when we did our first sponsored ride. I swear someone put his evil doppelganger in his place that day. My sweet calm little chap turned into the pony from hell for those 3 hours! Never been so glad to see home.

I remember posting on here about my first sponsored ride. It was (so far) my last too! I had my own horse, but not had her long. However I had been having regular lessons for a year. I thought I was capable and could easily walk, trot and canter. However, in a big group (thirty plus horses and riders and a carriage) it was absolutely terrifying. It was mainly on roads - some big busy ones and then quieter ones. Never again! Jelly legs all round. And I had a really calm steady person walking close by. My RI did not commit either way as to me being able. Now I know why! lol
Not trying to put you off @RayRay but just bear in mind, it can be a different kettle of fish altogether. I got left at some traffic lights and it's a miracle Storm did not just go right through them - she was hard to contain to say the least.
Not all group rides are like this I realise but just be prepared!! (If you can borrow a horse or loan one from the RS)

maybe sponsered ride means somthing differt to i thought i ut meant do a bit of riding to raise money for a praticla charity but maybe thats not a thing

A lot of them are to raise money for a charity, but the way it's often done is that landowners allow land to be ridden over that's normally private. They are often very busy affairs with a lot of horses on the course at any point, and most of the riders want to use the opportunity to have a good fast canter or gallop. Most organisers insist in riders going round at least in pairs and so it's not uncommon to have a group of horses passing at pace.

The number of horses & the pace they are ridden at for at least part of the ride means horses often find them very exciting & react accordingly. I know of one person who does organise a walk trot sponsored ride with helpers on the ground, but that really is an exception rather than the rule.

Reactions: Jessey
this may sound crazzy but i thought og you(as in me) geting sponsered while your riding to raise money for a charity that you care about

this may sound crazzy but i thought og you(as in me) geting sponsered while your riding to raise money for a charity that you care about
I have organized my own sponsored rides, where I have tackled a tough ride with 1 friend, most recently I planned to ride 130 miles over 5 days unfortunately my horse was injured and the weather was against us so we didn't complete it but everyone still coughed up :) that you could do but an organized 'sponsored ride' is normally 5-20 miles and open to lots of people who all meet up to do it, each paying or raising
£20+ so they end up raising thousands for their charity.​

newrider.com