Speedy Pony

penniewitch

Jan 14, 2008
Lancashire
I have had my pone 18 months, we are happy hackers, the minute he recognises we are homeward bound, he power walks. He does not trot, or jog and is not dangerous, but we often leave our hacking companions behind by at least 50 meters on the way home.

When I first got him, we would have head throwing and tantrums if he did not get to power march home, and at this stage he did jog and wouldn't stand still near the road, so we have worked through this and had reached the compromise above.

On Sunday I hacked out with my regular partner, but another livery joined us on her mare. On the way home my pony would not pass this mare, each time he made his bid to power walk, she just looked at him and we all carried on side by side, with me just holding the buckle of my reins. I have never ever experienced this before, and said as much to the owner of the mare, who then said 'he thinks he is the boss, hes taking the p*ss out of you.'

So i spent all last night thinking, and I have come to the conclusion that she is right. I thought that because I had got him to walk home fast in a controlled manner, I had taught him something, but really he is still doing what he wants.

What should I do? I feel that I am lacking something, and that in a pathetic way I am not really a very good 'leader' for my pone.

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself if I'm honest. Given the choice between head tossing / jogging and a good power walk home I'd choose the latter every time.

It's not unusual for them to speed up a bit on the way home and it's entirely natural.

If you want to feel more in control of his paces, try half-halting when he powers off in walk.

I think it sounds as though you have done extremely well to get him out of the bad habits he had when you first had him.

I agree, I did think I had done a good job, but think there is perhaps a better one to do, a work in progress perhaps.

He was previously a teens jumping pony, he is 14 years old, and has the hardest mouth ever. When I first got him, he had an il-fitting saddle, a dutch gag, a martingale and a flash. We now have a cavesson noseband, no flash, no martingale, but i do have a myler pelham with two reins. He has major aversions to a whip, and totaly freaks out if I take him in the school.

I am content to stay as we are, as long as he doesn't think I am a pushover (which i probably am) He will walk pass the entrance, and go on and off the farm, where as 18 months ago he would spin and paddy if you tried to get him off the yard or just walk round the yard once you had returned.

In actual fact thanks gb, in writing this I have realised we have achieved quite alot, we will keep trying.

newrider.com