Specks of blood on foreleg?

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Several times over the last couple of weeks, Rosie has had a few, very small, specks of blood on her right foreleg. I cant figure out what it is? :eek:

I have looked but cant see any damage to the skin - there is certainly no hair loss or cuts. I cant see that its 'drips' from a cut above. I am at a loss!!!!

My only ideas are;
  1. it is tiny scratches from brambles that arent causing enough damage to the skin for me to see - but it is always in the same area?
  2. it is some sort of biting insect that is drawing blood? I havent seen anything but that does mean a thing does it?
Anybody experienced this or have any idea what it could be?

My guess would be that she's squished insects that have blood in them with her chin! That would explain it always being in the same place. My old cob would squish bugs onto his knees with his chin, he scored a direct hit with one that must have just fed once & had this huge red splot across his knee. Scared me half to death until I realised what he'd done! :eek:

my guess would be that she's squished insects that have blood in them with her chin! That would explain it always being in the same place. My old cob would squish bugs onto his knees with his chin, he scored a direct hit with one that must have just fed once & had this huge red splot across his knee. Scared me half to death until i realised what he'd done! :eek:

hahaha lol!!!!!!!

Might sound silly but have you checked inside her mouth?! If she is rubbing her muzzle in the same place on her leg it could be something inside her mouth thats causing the blood?

It could be the bug thing (lol!) but I would have a look in her mouth to be sure..

The only thing I can think of that is different to what others have said is nosebleeds.

Have known of slight nosebleeds and then the blood either splatters or they rub onto their legs.If it was only in one nostril it would explain it always being on the same leg as well maybe??

Is it when your horse is being ridden or exercised?? Nosebleeds are more common when working is all.If it is happening in the field or stable then probably not so likely to be nosebleeds.

Sorry if not much help,was just something that came to mind.Hope you get to the bottom of it:)

what about ticks? even though it it's early in the year they are about. My boy has small amounts of blood specks on his white feathers. Run your hands under his belly and between his back legs and I can feel the tell tail signs that he has had a tick. Once the tick has had it's feed of blood it explodes leaving the blood splattered everywhere

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

I think squashed bugs might be it - I have started having to cream her ears as the flies are getting in and of course they are full of blood and 'pop' quite easily so makes sense that she might be squashing them as that is her itching leg (hadnt noticed until i started paying more attention this week!)

I dont think its nosebleeds or her mouth as no evidence on muzzle etc - I dont ride so its not during work etc. I will check her mouth just to be sure though :D

For some reason I always associate ticks with long grass (dont ask me where i got that from!?!?) but will have a feel :D

what about ticks? even though it it's early in the year they are about. My boy has small amounts of blood specks on his white feathers. Run your hands under his belly and between his back legs and I can feel the tell tail signs that he has had a tick. Once the tick has had it's feed of blood it explodes leaving the blood splattered everywhere

Huh? No they don't-they drop off and then when they want more, hop back on board. The long grass is notorious for ticks, as they hang on the tips and drop onto passing animals.

I don't know about evidence of ticks: I took one of Beau when I got him and tons off the dogs when we were on holiday in the Lake District one year. The only evidence was a small red patch where I'd twisted the head out (otherwise they can get infected).

that time of year, my little lad had some yesterday afternoon on hind, when I checked he had nicked the skin near his sheath with his hoof kicking at flies, so cleaned up, miracle cream on and then smeared with fly cream, fine this morning.

newrider.com