Spayed Dog Food

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a food for spayed pets, something you have used that has been great for your spayed bitch specifically, kept them happy but not gained much weight!

thanks

I find it depends on the dog.
I just feed less or feed a low protein and oil food.
Not all speyed animals run to fat. I have one that does and 2 who need as much as an intact dog if not more.

I just fed a lo cal on my bitch who ran to fat before she was spayed! VERY strict rations and no treats between meals.

I have one that was spayed due to an infection in the womb, she has gone a bit porky despite working 4 or so days a week.. the other dogs get a good working food and are all a nice weight so I would like to change her food rather than rations..:wink:

I know, makes you feel like a right meanie. I had to cut her rations by at least a third,

I have one that was spayed due to an infection in the womb, she has gone a bit porky despite working 4 or so days a week.. the other dogs get a good working food and are all a nice weight so I would like to change her food rather than rations..:wink:

Low oil content food will help.
Most of the working varieties have a basic and they are anything from 8-10% oil. I feed a minimum of 12% to the workers.
Odd to still be gaining if working 4 days a week.
Doesn't matter what you feed, you will still have to feed a reduced portion if you want to get weight off and keep it off.
I have a speyed cocker who gets a 3/4 of a coffee mug of normal food.
A speyed 35kg working lab who works anything between 2 and 4 days a week and runs out with the horse and he gets 1 1/2 cups and maybe 2 if he drops weight a bit.
Or if you really think she wouldnt want rationed try one if the Canins for speyed dogs but think if you fed what the recommned allowance on the bag was it would be a pittance.
I used to use the heart diet one and the dog was allowed a pittance daily.

My podgy collie got a handful, exaclty what I could hold in my hand morning and night of lo cal. Found it equates to a glass Gu pudding pot.

35kg labbidog gets the equivalent of 2 coffee mugs morning an night, and he can drop weight on that with 2 days out running all day.

James Wellbeloved Senior can keep the weight down and Royal Canin do one as well I think the Labrador one is low cal.

The Royal Cannin dog food is hellish expensive. Mine loves it and it makes a black lab a very shiniy black lab indeed.....but the price is scary.

ETA my Lab is not an easy dog to keep weight on. He's on full calorie, high protein working food.

We used to give our fat lab bitch a small portion of dry dog food, but make up the bulk in plain veggies, like grated carrots. She still thought she had a big dinner and it kept her weight down when she was unable to run about so much due to arthritis.

But then she would eat anything, is yours fussy?

But then she would eat anything, is yours fussy?

Mine is the very odd creature, a Labbidog who is just not food oriented. Since I lost my collie I am having to cajole food into him. Imagine this, throwing whole , stale bread rolls out for the hens in the presence of a labbidog. Most would whoof the bread, never to be seen again. I throw the bread roll for the hens, he brings it back to me, unmarked!

newrider.com