Sorry I'm a bit quiet....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
My mum's health is deteriorating. The family is all very accepting of this because she is a reformed alcoholic and damaged her liver some years ago. At the time she was given a prognosis of five years and she has lasted 11 so we are all fearing that this now the beginning of the end. She has been left with a set of ailments but started going downhill a couple of months ago. Everything came to a head as she had a fall in her bedroom sometime over Sunday night and the police had to break into her flat late morning on Monday. She was taken to hospital with a suspected stroke as she can't move the left side of her body. However, a scan has revealed a brain tumour and a swollen brain - it is this swelling that has made her feel so poorly and made her so confused. They don't know yet if it is malignant or benign. She has to have a full body CT to determine whether she has cancer anywhere else, which would then make the brain one a secondary. I'm resolved to her dying as I've known she's been on borrowed time for a long while. My mum and I have had a few turbulent years but made our peace with each other last summer. My daughter and I did a 300 mile round trip on Monday to be with my other two offspring with her in Charing Cross' A&E until she was on a ward and comfortable. Lots more day trips to come....

And this evening I heard that my son's lovely girlfriend of nine years has just told him she has been having an affair with her pesonal trainer at the gym for the past two months. Not so lovely now then. I'm heartbroken for him, he was about to propose

So I'm a bit down in the dumps at the mo. Fitting in soul-soothing pony hacks when I can.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry life is throwing so much at you. Pony Therapy is highly recommended though, so hope you keep finding enough time for lots of it. Xx

Oh how awful for you, lifes so unfair at times.x When I'm stressed and upset just spending time alone pottering with ponies helps me, as if one thing isn't hard enough to deal with without having a second bit of terrible news, I'm so sorry.x

My thoughts are with you - totally know how you feel as am going through similar myself right now, make sure that you take a bit of time for yourself too. x

I am so very sorry domane to hear of your troubles. I don't have any words of wisdom, just hope you know we are all here anytime you want to offload. I am sure your lovely horse time will help, I think it always does. Sending you lots of comforting / de-stressing / good vibes. Take care of yourself too because travelling long journeys and fitting everything else in can take its toll, so make sure you are okay.:)

Well it may be a blessing in disguise that your son found that out before he proposed! I am really sorry about your mum, I hope things pick up for you soon.

I am so sorry to tread this Jane - a very hard time for you and the rest of your family. I hope you manage to get through it all as well as could be expected with so much stuff going on right now. Look after yourself too - and make time for as much pony therapy as you can, it will help you through it all for sure. :) x

Reactions: Fleabitten Grey
Sorry to read about your troubles - difficult times for you all. I'm having Mum trouble too, but mine is 90 years old and has lived a full life. SImply a case of the body giving up. Your situation is more complex and I feel for you.

Sorry to hear this. My family are going through something similar right now with my mum's illness so I can imagine how tough it is for you. As for your son - heartbreaking for him, but I have strong feelings about people who cheat and hopefully in the not-too-distant future he will realise that he is better off without someone like that in his life :)

Just thought I'd let you all know that my mum had a full body CT scan and the official diagnosis is bowel cancer with secondaries in her lungs and brain. She will have limited options for treatment as the 25% of her liver that still functions will not cope with the toxicity of chemotherapy.... that would kill her before the cancer did! We're all OK. Kind of relieved that there is a genuine reason for her feeling so rough. Whilst not making light of the situation, we all knew that something like this would eventually catch up with her.... as I said in my original post, she has already gone 6 years over their original prognosis. Ironic that her liver is still OK..... or as OK as hers usually is.

I am truly sorry to hear this domane. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that your mum is comfortable and that you are all okay. Txxxx

newrider.com