Sorry but another bitting problem

tillsmum

Saski and Blaze
Jul 10, 2006
Broad Haven, Pembrokeshire
I have recently got a sec D mare who is lovely but I am finding her strong in certain situations. She came to me in a snaffle and flash but i was told by the woman who sold her to me that she had a very soft mouth so I dropped the flash and put a french link in as this was what i had. She was really strong in it and kept trying to tank off whenever we trotted. So I changed back to a snaffle and took her to a livery yard for 2 weeks to school her and have lessons. This worked well and I feel I have more control. The tanking off has virtually stopped. Then today I rode her to the school up the road and she was so heavy on the right hand. Constantly pulling and felt like she couldn't feel the bit at all. In the school she was nappy (this is not unusual) wouldn't bend and again very bad on the right side. So we worked through this. Canter transitions were the best they have ever been but went like a motorbike round the school and no amount of half halting would stop her. We then hacked the long way home and a few times she tried to turn around but was easy enough to keep going. When myself and my friend split up then she tries to bugger off home (this again is a regular thing when we leave the other horses) and we have to do lots of walk halk transitions to prevent her bolting.

My question is what bit should i use to help me feel like if there ever is a time she decides not to listen and buggers off i can stop her. Also i am worried about giving her a hard mouth tring to stop this leaning problem on the right rein. Sorry its long. Oh yes she throws her head a bit aswellto get away from the light contact i have with her.

a pelham?
you can ride off the snaffle rein, and use the curb when she is been a prat.
should also stop her leaning as heavy i think

start with a mullen mouth (steel not vulcanite) and work from there, some like ports jointed it just depends on their mouth conformation.

I also have a very strong Section D mare. She came to me in a snaffle and flash, but I was told by RI to get rid of the flash and put her in a french link, but I found I had no brakes. I then resorted to a slotted kimblewick and she loves it. I have a lot more control (although I would like EVEN more stopping power), but I think this is down to schooling rather than resorting to a stronger bit.

What bit will guarantee control? None. What bit might help the situation? None. 'Stronger' bits just mean they have more capacity for inflicting pain than 'softer' ones. Therefore, assuming the horse is educated to yield to pressure, they have more incentive to yield to a stronger bit. However, if a horse is 'right brained' in fear or pain, they will often brace against pressure, as this horse is doing. In this situation, the more painful the pressure, the more resistance you can get. Therefore, the answer is not the strength of the bit, but the level of training and the comfort of the horse.

It sounds very much to me like she is in pain. Especially if what the previous owner said was true, the saddle is probably the biggest contender for the cause. Unfortunately most saddle aren't built for the comfort of the horse and they damage backs. Balance International is a mob with heaps of great info on saddle fit & back issues.

I would get her back checked & if necessary get it strong & fit before fitting her with a saddle. I would also get her mouth checked and try riding her without a bit(start in an enclosed area for safety of course) to see if there is a big difference in her behaviour. You might find the best bit is no bit at all.

before anything, get her back/nec looked at, sounds like she has an issue

Agree with this suggestion.

My boy is very strong in a snaffle but having had all the recent checks done and seen how well he works in the school I knew that changing his bit was a valid option.

My cob is actually amazing in a french link - really soft, really responsive despite this not being a particulary strong bit.

Get the checks done and it will at the very least give you piece of mind.

It may be worth trying to loan out some different bits and see how she goes in them rather than spending a lot of money on bits that don't work.:)

newrider.com