Sorry..another "which bit"?

Clava

Apr 24, 2008
On the South Downs, Hampshire
Ok, my 13.1hh pony came to me in a single jointed dutch gag which I felt he didn't like. He is sensitive in the mouth and his mouth is small (arab x welsh) and I wanted to try something "gentler", so tried a loose ring french link, a Dr Cooke, a hanging cheek french link and settled on a copper lozenge link full cheek which he seemed fine in. But he gets VERY excited when out and likes to go fast (he's calm on the road and happy to walk and trot, but when there is grass under his feet he wants to GO). So his young rider was struggling to stop him which worried me (we were out together) so I decided to try a loose ring waterford which I was worried about as I felt it is a severe bit, however, he was very responsive and had brakes (as sometimes I've previously had to battle with him to go at my speed not his), but yesterday he was taken out and he ran off with his rider and this time he put his head down and went, usually he pokes his nose forward to grab the bit but cant.

So, where do I go from here? I feel that I can stop him in the waterford and can even stop him in the full cheek (with a struggle), but I'm experienced and I also never let him "get started" or set the pace, it is always on my terms or I bring him back to a trot. His young rider is a good rider but not as experienced and I think she'd like to keep riding him, but I want her to be safe. We also taken him on lots of walking rides to break the habit, but we don't always want to walk.

Any thoughts...?

(after buying him his previous owner told me that he had "bolted" with her, I don't believe he really bolted, but he probably did run off with her - she had tried lots of different bits and previously I felt that getting more severe bits was the wrong way to go.....now I just don't know...)

have you tried a magic bit?
or a ported kimblewick? (is it joyscarer who uses a cambridge ported one on her mare?)

no joints so no pinching, and takes pressure off the tongue :)

have you tried a magic bit?
or a ported kimblewick? (is it joyscarer who uses a cambridge ported one on her mare?)

no joints so no pinching, and takes pressure off the tongue :)

To be honest I think he'll grab an unjointed bit. I did briefly try him in a straight bar pelham (on a loose rein) and he seemed to really dislike it, so I didn't persue that. My friend has a magic bit which I could borrow, so worth a try.

a hackamore of some sort?

or jointed with copper rollers and full cheeks

does he settle in the bit when he isnt trying to do a bunk?

a hackamore of some sort?

or jointed with copper rollers and full cheeks

does he settle in the bit when he isnt trying to do a bunk?

Yes, he settles in the waterford and french link full cheek and will make a nice outline (although can't keep it yet), but he does try and go over bent to avoid the bit and poke his nose above given half a chance. He was being ridden in a hackamore just before the previous owner turned him away, but I'm not keen on hackamore as they can be very strong - but I'm willing to try anything once.

a joint will raise his head, anything with poll pressure will encourage it down (pelham, kimblewick, hanging cheek)

perhaps a jointed bit (one that he likes) then a harbridge or draw reins until he grows out of it. ride off your normal reins and pick up the extra when he starts to take hold.
draw reins tend to bring their heads down and in though so might not work for him.
once you break the habit, you wont need them any more.

hes got so many contradicting evasions!

a joint will raise his head, anything with poll pressure will encourage it down (pelham, kimblewick, hanging cheek)

perhaps a jointed bit (one that he likes) then a harbridge or draw reins until he grows out of it. ride off your normal reins and pick up the extra when he starts to take hold.
draw reins tend to bring their heads down and in though so might not work for him.
once you break the habit, you wont need them any more.

hes got so many contradicting evasions!

To be honest I thought we had broken the habit. When he pokes his nose he can be stopped, but this time he put his head down and could n't be stopped so probably a bit with a raising action (gag) maybe the answer. Personally I'm not keen on the action of gags (pull the bit up in the mouth) but I'm leaning towards a french link gag with two reins so the bottom rein is just for emergencies. What do you think?

Definately wouldn't go with an unjointed bit as he will probably take advantage and lean. He's not ready for that yet.

I don't know if my old threads are still about but I used to have the same problem with Joy. She was only ever used in the school and was excited to be a hacking horse and have fun. Hacking is the place to sort this out.

I too went down the waterford route but used it as a remedial bit and not a long term option.

I combined this with very long hacks so she never knew how long we'd be out for and would be more inclined to pace herself.

Also if she wanted to go and we were in a safe place then I'd push her on when she wanted to stop. This made her think twice. What turned out to be a jolly on her part was soon equated with being bloody hard work ;)

Once I felt she'd learnt that tanking off was going to result in hard work and she stopped trying then I tried her in her old bit again and never needed to go back to the waterford.

It is testiment to the fact that she now doesn't lean or tank of that I can have her in a mild bit.

If he tries to over bend and tuck his nose in then I would firstly question the hands of the rider. She needs to aim for long low and loose but consitent contact and a squeezing of one rein when control is needed rather than the classic pull back with both. I'm sure you know all of that though :eek:

Speaking as an ex part owner of a "bolter" - if someone tells you that happens, then be inclined to believe it. We didn't and ended up paying the price more than once and the horse even more so. However, we didn't have the same problems as you in terms of our mare "taking hold"; she just went without warning and seemingly for no apparent reason. But she did lean and we went through various bits and ended up with a pelham with roundings which I seem to remember her being quite happy in for some time. It seemed to stop the leaning but was still no prevention for the bolting.

Speaking as an ex part owner of a "bolter" - if someone tells you that happens, then be inclined to believe it. We didn't and ended up paying the price more than once and the horse even more so. However, we didn't have the same problems as you in terms of our mare "taking hold"; she just went without warning and seemingly for no apparent reason. But she did lean and we went through various bits and ended up with a pelham with roundings which I seem to remember her being quite happy in for some time. It seemed to stop the leaning but was still no prevention for the bolting.

In this case he never goes without warning, it is always (so far) through excitement and I 've always understood a true bolt to be sheer unstoppable blind panic galloping - he's never done that he goes fast if he gets infront and then doesn't want to stop.:eek:

What noseband is he in?
I have always been taught to change the noseband before adding a stronger bit.

My friends arabXwelsh is very speedy, even on the roads. We have tried most bits with him, which have either made him fussy with his head, or take off even faster. We have finally decided to try a drop noseband with him, and hope that he is better (haven't been able to try it on him yet but want to make that our next step).

At shows or sponsered rides he wears a running martingale to help control his head. But he is still in a loose ring french link snaffle. :)

What noseband is he in?
I have always been taught to change the noseband before adding a stronger bit.

My friends arabXwelsh is very speedy, even on the roads. We have tried most bits with him, which have either made him fussy with his head, or take off even faster. We have finally decided to try a drop noseband with him, and hope that he is better (haven't been able to try it on him yet but want to make that our next step).

At shows or sponsered rides he wears a running martingale to help control his head. But he is still in a loose ring french link snaffle. :)

He was in a plain caverson, but I put a flash on as he was opening his mouth to avoid the bit I'd prefer a drop, but didn't get round to buying one). A martingale has no effect as his nose poking isn't a real problem, it seems to be when he puts his head down he tanks off. When he poke his nose I can resist with my hands and he will spften into outline (except in canter unless he's in the waterford)

newrider.com