Sorry another question about wall seperation

xstephx

Freddie & Marley x
Jan 12, 2008
Leicestershire
www.handonhealing.co.uk
After doing some very light work, when i say light work i mean trying out his new boots and just doing a few ground work exercises and a short walk over the stones and up the concrete drive Marley's hind feet (without the boots) looked as though the seperation between the outer wall and inner wall had seperated a bit more. I got the rasp out and rolled the edges some more so that the seperation was flush, he isn't sore on them or anything i was just wondering if i keep rolling the edges so the seperation is flush will it prevent it from seperating even more and is it normal for it to have seperated a little more considering it was already there? Also is it likely to stop once the hoof since not having shoes on has grown from top to bottom? I'm going to start scrubbing them some more with a light solution of hibiscrub or milton to see if it helps like you've already suggested. His front feet on the other don't seem to be doing too bad its just in wet weather the soles get very soft and chalky, i actually think there may be some false sole as quite a big flap came off the other day.

I got the rasp out and rolled the edges some more so that the seperation was flush, .....is it normal for it to have seperated a little more considering it was already there? Also is it likely to stop once the hoof since not having shoes on has grown from top to bottom?

Hi, I don't get what you mean by 'flush' - flush to what? Yes, it's normal for a hoof to continue getting worse if the horse isn't kept properly trimmed. Perhaps in light of the seperation your farrier isn't taking his toes(where i presume the sep is) back far enough, or perhaps the horse needs to be trimmed a little more often. Depending on the severity of the problem, it may not take the time of the whole foot growing out to become strong - hopefully the feet aren't bad enough for the laminae to be seperated the whole length of the hoof. However, the length of time or hoof won't matter if the horse isn't being trimmed in such a way to eliminate the excessive leverage on the walls.

Very basically & generally(there are always exceptions & conditions), I will trim the 'seedy' area slightly shorter than the rest of the foot - say sole level while the rest is about 1-2mm longer - and then I will bevel or 'roll' that area right back into the white line. I would keep it this short, trimming it very regularly until some solid, strong connection has come thru.

You can find some more info on seperation, among so much other good info, at www.hoofrehab.com

newrider.com