sore inner thigh muscles. OUCH!

lizzybeth

give me horses everyday
Jan 17, 2001
Sussex
Visit site
hEY GUYS! wonder if anybody can help meeeeee! i went riding on saturday for an hour but i hadnt been for 7 weeks! it was great to be back in the saddle. work with out stirrups and sitting trot have never felt so good!! but on sunday morning icould barely walk!! i was in AGONY! my thigh muscles had completely ceased up! it didnt help that i stayed in bed most of the day coz i was tired from saturday nites outings! :) sooo now my thighs still kill and i almost crawled up the hill to the busstop this morning and ended up missing the bus on the first day back! gr8 start! does anyone have any tips to ease my sore legs for now and the future if i havnt ridden for ages!!???????? PLEASE HELP!

LOADSA LOVE- sore lizzy xxx :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

aarrghh.....I know how you feel!! When I haven't riden for a while, sometimes I feel like that too! And people say riding doesn't take excercise? :rolleyes:

I find that stretching before riding makes a BIGGG difference!! It really does! Like, um, well I'm sure you can think of some good stretches, but one that I like is if you spread your legs out as far as you can. Now bend your body to the right, now to the back, now to the left, now to the front. Keep doing this for as long as you can. Just make sure you don't overdo yourself! :) Also, if you put your foot up on something, like um, the height of maybe two steps up or more. Put one foot up, and the other foot about 1-2 feet back. Now lean forward, keeping the foot on the ground in close contact with the ground. That means no lifting it up.

So sorry I couldn't help more! :( I hope your feeling better soon! :)

When I first started I got really sore and it lasted most of the week! :( I did warm up and down aswell :( I still get sore legs sometimes a year on but not as bad. I find it os worse it I do aerobics in PE the next day (ride on Wed, PE Thurs) due to all the extra stretching.
I tried everything to help but nothing worked except persiveering!

As someone mentioned before, doing some excerises/stretches before and after your riding lesson can really help. :)
When I first started riding I wasn't used to sitting in the saddle for such a long time and the main cure for the problem of aches throughout your body is mainly just letting yourself get used to it.

I find going for a run when you come back from your lesson really helps. Although the very last thing you might feel like doing when you come back from your lesson is going out for a run, it really does help to calm your mucsles and to relax yourself. You don't have to run very far - just a little jog round the block will do.

Im like that when i havent ridden for ages and the best thing to do is...go riding the next day!Its agony for about 2 mins but once your muscles relax down you'll be fine.Believe me it works.youll be not as bad the next day.if you dont ride the next day you'll be in agony for longer!!!

ARNICA tablets! I went for a beach ride on Friday, first time I'd been in the saddle for weeks then 5 miles of unadulterated white sand and an accommodating little cob who knew his job, ie flat out most of the way! Felt like I'd done the Grand National the next day, but 2 Arnica tabs (from any health shop and most chemists) and I was right as rain.

My husband had a hard ride on Tuesday. He's been whining ;) about being sore all week. I tried to convince him to go for a little barebacking yesterday, told him it would make him feel soooo much better--but he said he just felt too sore. Silly guy,

I know if I'd been going with him he'd've gone, but I'm still broken (truck->hand<-trailer, ouch) so I'm not riding much. Although my lesson TB, Duchess, let me do a little one-handed jumping after a beginner's lesson a couple of days ago...she was so nice & warmed up, and I just HATE not being able to ride... She was a bit perplexed, but when I ride I guide mostly with the legs anyway, so we worked it out.

Does anyone know of any ground exercises that use those inner thigh muscles? I can think of exercises to strengthen just about any other, but the posting trot is the only thing I know of to REALLY work that muscle. A lot of my students can only afford one lesson a week, so I give them exercises they can do to keep in shape at home. Point your toes up like you're "heels down," back strengthening, etc. I just draw a blank on that one. Unless they want to pretend that they're posting at home! Any ideas?

Sorry galadriel, I missed your message at first glance! At the gym that go to once a week there is a machine that works your thigh muscles - I think!

Sorry I don't know what it is called but I'm going to try and explain it to you.

You have to sit in a small seat and there are two sort of padded poles in front of the seat (with leg rest things). You have to move your legs inwards (or outwards, depending on what setting it is on) with your legs resting on the poles.

Oh, I think it is called something like an abductor, but don't hold me to that one.

I'm really sorry I can't think of anymore advice, but I hope it helps anyway!

sore inner thighs

It is important to remember (although not easy) that riding is, after all another form of exercise and should really have both warm up and warm down. Stretches for the inner thighs
(adductors) after riding will alleviate some of the soreness associated with activities such as sitting trot etc. Good stretches can often be found in books on exercise routines or from gym instructors or another good resource is your friendly physio. Inner thigh stretches are easy to do but need to be done soon after riding if you want to walk normally in the near future!

I read in a local horsey mag that swiss ball exercises are excellent for horse riders -- for abdominal and thigh muscles.

Ooh, and I know it's not specifically for the inner thigh muscles, but one form of exercise which could have benefits for riders, and which most people wouldn't think of is - belly dancing!!! I went to a beginners class recently, and it's great. Teaches you to move the parts of your body in isolation, and promotes flexibility in the hip and pelvic region. Plus it's fun, different, and quite liberating!
:D

cheers,
alleycat

Found soem inner thigh stretches
a_Hip_adductor_stretch_II_b.jpg

newrider.com