Sore Hands...

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for a cream for chapped horsey hands?
I am forever getting my hands wet at the yard and removing gloves and washing my hands 50 times a day, finally today i have cracks in my skin that really hurt now!:(

I dont do lotion, for some reason I spend 30mins a morning putting cream on podges legs but not spare the time to do the same for me! I dont own any creams! But I am off to buy some tomorrow, so just looking for a good one;)

I used to have really bad cracked hands, especially my fingers and knuckles. For the last couple of years I have found that Aqueous Cream is just brill. I buy a huge tup from the chemist about £5. and it lasts ages.

Tried & Tested and it works and it's not greasy:)

Can totally recommend Lotil. Just ask for it at the chemist's. It lasts for ages 'cos you only need a wee bit. I've been using it for 2 years now (AFTER yarding!) and it's fabby!

Mags

I where gloves to bed when my hands are red and scaly. I out the alveno cream in them and I wake up and my hands are ready for riding!!!!!!!!!!!

I use either Palmer's Cocoa Butter or Vaseline Intensive Care, my hands have been so dry they went orange but never had cracked/chapped skin.

But Neutrogena stuff is supposed to have been developed for sailors so that may be worth a try!

I don't know if it's sold in the UK, but I use A&D Original Ointment (Don't tell anybody, but it's supposed to be used for diaper rash :D ). One tube goes a long way. You just smear on a big dollop before bed, rub it around a bit on the backs of your hands, put socks on your hands (it's sticky-you can't wear it like regular lotion), and voila! In the morning, your hands are super-soft and happy!!

I would get the neutrogena stuff as I find all the others sting when I have really chapped hands. Its really concentrated so a little goes a long way. Worth getting.

Attachments

• handcream.jpg
    handcream.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 113
I had this problem too a couple of years ago - my hands got so dry tyhat when I flexed my knuckles they actually split and bled. As a result most creams hurt like hell. Neutrogena soothed and did help but I'm with tubby - nothing beats udder cream. I still use it when my hands start to dry out and I've never had the same problem since.

My mum got a gardeners hand cream for Christmas from Marks and Spencers and its super becuase its especially designed for those who are always in the outdoors.

I get huge hacks on my hands, knees and elbows (along wiht a bit of phsoriesis (I know I've spelt it wrong) and I find that the gardeners hand cream as well as E45 cream work very well.

I am another for the Neutrogena one.
My mum has had that stuff for years as she loves gardening bu ther hands dont. i recently used it after a cold day at the yard and it was great - so soft :D
It was developped for swedish fishermen, out in the cold and wet for hours on end - good stuff.

have you tried Vaseline (patroleum jelly), its really cheap just couple bucks, theyre sold everywhere. What you can do is apply vaseline all over hands and leave it overnight, it will also work best if u put some thin gloves on at night,and u can wear it under gloves during the day. Same procedure works great for feet also, wear socks over it. U can actually use it for many things,I always use it for my chapped lips when I cant find my chapstick. i have this nifty D.I.Y book(do-it-yourself), and it has all these things u can make yourself very cheap, most of them come from the fridge.lol.. like facial masks, lipglosses, bath suds, etc. its great!! just ask me I can give u a list of home-made beauty recipes for every body part.
and my favorite all time facial softener is (drum roll...) AVOCADO!!!
what you do is take an avocado, cut it in half, take out the nut, and scoop out all the soft stuff, the smush it well in a bowl so it turns into think green paste, before applying make sure you wash your face first, ok, now apply the green goo all over your face, except the eye area(under eyes) and nostrils. then leave it for 15-20 min, rinse with warm water pat the face with towel!!
TA-**!! your skin will look and feel great!! when u wash your face from the goo, you can just scoop it with your hands and throw it in trash, so u wont clog the sink.
U can also try this for your hands, appy on hands and leave for 20 min. if u need to do something during that time, use those rubber gloves(or plastic) and secure them with rubber bands, that should work.
phew.. this is probably the longest post I've written and its not even about horses..lol

heres a pic of vaseline

hope this helps~:D

Thanks for all your suggestions, sent my sister to get any of the above and she got the neutrogena one. I have just bought some gold label udder cream fopr podges sores and some petrolum jelly so i can use all three!!
Cant believe how sore they are though, only got to form a fist and they crack and bleed. They have come on over night!:eek:

mmmm very interesting thread this one, i was just saying to my husband last night that my hands are rougher than his! eeeek help, need drastic action, straight to shops tomorrow i think!

newrider.com