Sore ears/poll - alternative headpiece for bridle? Also Sidpics

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Sid has some residual soreness around his poll and ears from a too-tight bridle. My RI suggested I try to find a cutaway headpiece for him to avoid the sore area.

Alternatively I wonder if a different material or completely different bridle might work. This morning he walked out with me wearing Mattie's old webbing Dr Cooks bridle, which he accepted happily and responded to cheerfully, though every time I used the reins to give him an aid he walked along afterwards thoughtfully licking and chewing, as if puzzled. So now I am wondering about a webbing bridle, is there such a thing? Or an American headstall which sits differently around the ears?

Ideas and opinions welcome, and here are a couple of photos (and a tiny vid) of the boy modelling his Dr Cooks. It was ONLY JUST big enough and I hadn't tucked in all the strap ends, sorry!

IMG_1083.JPGIMG_1084.JPG

Reactions: Jessey
Have a look at anatomical bridles, they usually have a cut away behind the ears. They do have to fit though so you may need to try a few on to make sure the cut away is in the right places. My friend recently had a lovely one made to measure if you struggle to find one to fit him, or some saddle fitters also carry bridles. As a stop gap you could try a bigger browband on his current bridle, off the peg bridles often have too small a browband fitted and so the bridle is pulled forward onto the base of the ears.

Ilbbys do webbing bridles. Also part of the issue could be the browband is too small, i have Buddy in an Extra Full browband and he has been ridden all his life in one which was too tight as he has a broad forehead so now there is no tightness behind his ears. He has similar issues to Sid in that his bridles have always been too tight on him - the one i have now is made up of bits and pieces from different suppliers but the browband is the most significant comfort for him as it is really big and wide and comfy, and doesn't put any pressure behind the ears. What with being tied down with nosebands and martingales and a very tight bridle, he was very sore on poll and his neck.

Reactions: Jessey
Ilbbys do webbing bridles. Also part of the issue could be the browband is too small, i have Buddy in an Extra Full browband and he has been ridden all his life in one which was too tight as he has a broad forehead so now there is no tightness behind his ears. He has similar issues to Sid in that his bridles have always been too tight on him - the one i have now is made up of bits and pieces from different suppliers but the browband is the most significant comfort for him as it is really big and wide and comfy, and doesn't put any pressure behind the ears. What with being tied down with nosebands and martingales and a very tight bridle, he was very sore on poll and his neck.
I'm sure the browband has something to do with it, yes. At least the poor chap wasn't in a martingale or even a flash, just a super plain cavesson.

Maybe a new browband should be my first purchase.

I'm sure the browband has something to do with it, yes. At least the poor chap wasn't in a martingale or even a flash, just a super plain cavesson.

Maybe a new browband should be my first purchase.
start with that and see if it makes a difference, a lot of browbands on standard bridles don't take into account wide cob foreheads and sit too high and pinch the back of the ears

The dr cook applies some poll pressure so perhaps not the best choice if youā€™re trying to avoid it.
There is some lovely anatomical bridles now, Jess just has an extra pad on the poll of her regular bridle which definitely makes her less irritated by it, I do have to watch her brow band is big enough.

Reactions: carthorse
I really like these bridles

I used to ride Pete in a Micklem which was fairly cut away - Kramer do a version my bit fitter really rated.

Now I've sorted his bit I can ride Pete in a regular bridle - he's in a webbing bridle as I'm lazy šŸ¤£ I'm living for the day one of the endurance bridle makers make an ergonomical synthetic bridle!

newrider.com