Sore after lessons

Lorenzo

Sep 7, 2019
I have had quite a few lessons. I stopped for 2 months because my horse injured me and I had to get winter wear. I had my first lesson after the break a few days ago and my legs are so stiff. I don't know what is different from two months ago because they didnt hurt that much before.

You just need to rebuild the muscles.
I run but I suffer planter fasciitis in my feet. When my muscles got use to the mileage it stopped. Over Christmas i stopped running for 3 weeks, then had a little accident so couldnt run for another 2 weeks. So 5 weeks off. First run back only 4 miles. The next day my legs ached. Last week after my run, the next morning i had planter fasciitis in my feet again. Since the weekend ive had to go back to running a mile a day to rebuild my muscles.
It doesnt take long to loose muscling. I would suggest that you have a short rides, or try not to do too much trotting till you rebuild to muscle memory.

I usually trot a bit but it's mostly cantering. I love cantering. So how long will it take for me not to hurt?

Yep it's because your muscles have deconditioned in the time you had off. As for how long, it varies for every person based on age, previous fitness etc. and on how often you are riding, it's normally about 6 weeks for muscles to adapt but if you only ride once a week and do too much in that session it could slow that down, little and often is better as @chunky monkey is doing with her running.

Reactions: Huggy
I try to stretch before riding even if for only 5 minutes and then try and roll out after it really helps!! You will get more used to it but stretching really helps. Hope your lessons are going well x

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com