Soooo girthy - WWYD?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I was trying my sheepskin bareback pad on Sid today. He was fine with the pad, but the moment I produced my old dressage girth (which fitted, amazingly enough) he had a Jekyll & Hyde transformation. Ears pinned back, head swinging, teeth clacking. I wasn't scared because I think he is all mouth and trousers, but he tried really hard to scare me off fastening the girth.

I did it up very slowly, one hole at a time. Every time I raised it we had the same performance from him, plus heavy breathing and quivering skin. When I slipped my hand under to ensure that his skin was smooth I thought he was going to jump away. Once it was done up (not tightly, I wasn't planning to sit on him) he calmed and I led him around and over some poles and he was fine.

I took him back to the shelter and removed girth and pad. I had a good look at the skin on the girth and couldn't see any inflammation, irritation or soreness. He doesn't mind being brushed or stroked there and positively likes being scratched.

I suppose maybe someone caught his skin in the girth one time, or one owner has been rough and abrupt in girthing him. I'm posting because I'm not sure how to treat it. My natural response is to be very gentle and try to reassure him as we go, but would it be better for him if I just let the whole performance wash over me and did a straightforward job of doing up the girth? I am honestly uncertain of the best thing.

What do you all think?

Do what you did, with a little treat after each tightening, or before, as you don't want to reward the nippyness. Treats always work with Hogan, but I have to be fast, before he can react badly. I almost give the treat as I do whatever he's funny about.

Reactions: carthorse and MrA
Habituation to the girth so have it on you whilst he's being fed etc so learns to associate it with good things and could also use clicker training. I know people that just carry on regardless and ignore it.

Do what you did, with a little treat after each tightening, or before, as you don't want to reward the nippyness. Treats always work with Hogan, but I have to be fast, before he can react badly. I almost give the treat as I do whatever he's funny about.
Yes this šŸ˜ but if he's pulling faces as soon as the girth appears then need to just get him used to it being around first

I would just ignore his faces and just work in a matter a fact way. I always do the girth up gradually one hole at a time over a period of about 5 minutes while I get ready to ride. So I put his saddle on and girth up loosely, then put his bridle on and do the girth another hole. Then I get my hat on and girth another hole, then so lead to the mounting block and do another hole. I also do this with one of the RDA horses where I help who can be ultra grumpy with the girth, and I find the less fuss I make, the less fuss she makes.

Reactions: Huggy
My old share had a 100% wool slightly flluffy girth sleeve. I know as I was asked to give her a replacement one Christmas. Searching my emails way back I bought her Nuumed. That was in 2011. I did suggest buying 2, as one needs to wash them. I still have the special washing stuff. Wish I was still able to share on that yard. Trying to get back in the saddle is being difficult.

Since he's doing it as soon as he sees the girth I'd say he's had bad experiences. Can you put the saddle and girth over the door before you start grooming so he's used to seeing them there?And maybe when you've groomed the saddle and girth area put the saddle on very loosely girthed while you carry on with your grooming. As long as he isn't nippy I'm another who'd use treats, maybe for now even get someone to stand giving him a few when you go to pick up the saddle and put it on so that he really does start to associate it with good things rather than bad. And praise praise praise even the smallest good sign. And once the saddle is on and you're still grooming maybe just lift the saddle flap as you go by but don't alter the girth. It will take time if he's got bad memories to overcome, but it can be done :)

Lots of good advice. Iā€™ve always used advance/retreat and gone very slowly, and lots of praise for any good or tolerant behaviour.

It really can be done. Hogan wasn't as tetchy as Sid, but was barging about and swinging his head at me. 8 just groomed the saddle area, popped it on, did one hole. Groomed one side, up a hole, other side, up a hole and so on, with a treat thrown in at appropriate moments.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
He's clearly anticipating something which hurts and it's just a habit he's got into. Maybe he has also been ridden with a girth gall which rubbed and was painful. All you can do it make as little a deal of it as you can, do it gently and see if in time he forgets about it. Buddy isn't that keen on girths, I watched him being saddled and it was just plonked on and ratcheted up tight. He is ok now, i do it a hole at a time and he can wander around if he wants and i just follow. sometimes they are better if they are not tied up and can move and you just go with them and do what you need to wherever they are and they don't feel trapped.

We always do Ziā€™s up slowly hole by hole. He stamps his foot and turns to nip otherwise. Heā€™s always done it and same with old owner. I think heā€™s just sensitive so we do it gradually and last hole heā€™s not a bit worried.

newrider.com