Sooo angry :o(

xxKatexx

Nov 9, 2006
Halesowen, West Midlands
Horse saga again :mad:

I saw an ad for a gelding in my local saddlery shop, he was advertised as for loan or sale so I enquired about him. I arranged to go and see him, then his owner text me 2 days before to say she'd got someone interested in buying him so she wanted to see them first. Then they didn't want him so I went to see him the weekend after, I rode him in the school and got on really well with him. Then his owner asked me if I wanted to come down in the week and take him on a hack so I took a day off work and went on a hack with her and another lady, she also came to look at the yard that day and said she liked it. Then she asked if I'd have a lesson (which I had to pay for) with her instructor (who also broke Hugo in) which was arranged for this Wednesday but had to be cancelled at the last minue (literally half an hour before I was due there) due to him having to stay at work late so it was rearranged for last night. I went and had my lesson, I thought it went really well and I really enjoyed it.

His owner said she would have a chat with her instructor and take it from there but she did seem happy with me etc. She did tell me before that the loan would only be for a year or two and then she would have to sell him but I'd have first refusal which I said was fair enough and that I would be able to buy him then. Have just had a text of her saying: "Hiya, I've had a chat wiv **** an he feels its best that I sell **** now rather than later as I'm worried bout his progress. Plus we think its best jus 2 do it now than av 2 have him bk off u in a yr 2 sell which isn't fair 4 u. Sorry! U r welcome 2 buy him though? Sorry Im jus goin wiv what Im advised 2 do"

Now she knew from the start that I can't afford to buy at the moment but would be able to in a year or so. I've been looking for absolutely ages now but never seem to get anywhere and am getting fed up of looking He seemed really suitable, I felt safe on him (which is good for me as I do lack confidence sometimes) and now I'm just feeling a bit let down

I feel like I've been messed around and have wasted my time as I've turned other people down who have horses that would have been suitable

I haven't replied to her message yet as I'm not to sure what to say :eek:

is there no way you can work something out with her like paying in instalments over the year or is that not an option for you. She obviously doesn't need the money or she would have been selling him immediately so it's moer for the horses sake . If you like the horse fight for him and show her that you're serious about it.
Don't text back- phone her and talk to her - she may just be wanting to know that you're really up for this and aren't going to hand him back after a few months.

It sounds like you have had a lucky escape! I would not want to loan a horse from someone like that. If she behaves in this over bearing way when she is hoping to attract a loanee/buyer... then what will she be like if you took the horse on:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Plenty more fish in the sea.... Plenty of horses which don't come with 'hidden extras' :rolleyes:

If you have anything more to do with this person and her horse you will be in danger of loosing your sanity and confidence!

I speak from experience!

She wants £4000 for him and theres no way I could afford the instalment payments if she did let me :(

£4000???:eek: for what you are looking for (in your signature ;)) that is way overpriced, unles he has dont at least some serious competitions. what breed/ height/ age etc is he?

i think you would be better off leaving this one well alone - if you loaned you may have to put up with this attitude all the time. i also hate it when people do not take responsibility for their actions: 'Sorry Im jus goin wiv what Im advised 2 do'. Right. is she incapable of making her own decisions about her horse? or does she not have the courage to say this to your face or call you. I think text messages are such a cowards way out. If you think this is the horse for you, ask to speak to her face to face and see what she says then.

Hes a 4 year old 14.3 section d gelding, has done some jumping clinics and a dressage test in which he got 64%

That woman is having a laugh if she expects to get £4000 for her pony - I think she is calling your bluff personally.

Time to move on and start horsey shopping again.

:) :) :)

Agree with Faralaa - i would pay that much for a 16hh+ warmblood 7-8years with a few competitions but not a 14.3 pony, unless his breeding was excellent. he is only 4, and therefore all that is only potential at this point, and not woth buying if you are just looking for a happy hacker.

also if he is only 4 and has been jumping he may have been started to early and will have problems later on in life due to damaged joints

it's such a shame that this has happened to you. she should have known at the start what her situation was. £4000 is also WAY too much. i'd only pay about £2000-£2500 at the most. however, a safe horse is worth it's weight in gold, and maybe, this is what she's trying to achieve.

Sorry to hear you've been messed around. Sounds like she's just one of these dithery people who doesn't quite know what was happening herself. Best off out of it to be fair. Have to agree with the rest that unless his breeding is impeccable that's a lot of money for something that's so young and not done a lot. I think there's probably a few ponies out there which are more reasonably priced who are ideal for you. Just hang in there and i'm sure you'll find one :) If i'm honest for £4000 i'd expect older, much more experienced, jumping a good height and experienced with it, maybe have hunted, more dressage etc.

oh no, not another person messing you about:(
If you can get down here once a fortnight your quite welcome to come exercise one of mine till you find a loan:)

Just be patient, at that price she's unlikely to sell him. Send a nice text saying OK but let me know if you change your mind, I might not have found anything.

Never know, in a few weeks time, when she's faced with keeping him over winter she may change her mind.

Good luck with your search.

I agree with rtk, just send a text saying ok, you are sorry that is her decision but should she change her mind to let you know'. However, I also think she will be lucky to sell at that price but bear all of this in mind if she does come back to you. You could have this horse for the winter and bring it on and then she could decide to sell anyway and you have helped put the price up.

If you do end up loaning from this lady, make sure you get a proper loan contract drawn up so that she cannot suddenly just decide to take him back and put him up for sale.

Maybe worth walking away from this, I know you must be very disappointed, but something will turn up, probably when you least expect it:) and you will probably look back on this and think, just maybe you had a lucky escape:)

Its horrible when people mess you about, especially when you get your hopes up!

I agree with the above, dont leave anything on a bad note as you never know whats going to happen, just say ok and your still very interested and to keep in touch with what happens.
£4000 is a lot for this pony, sounds like she might have some £££££ signs spinning in her eyes!!!
I would be wary taking a youngster on loan for a year or two because you could do a lot of work bringing him on and she might just decide to take him back and sell him, then you will then have nothing to show for all your hard efforts.

I was messed about when I was looking a little while ago, I found an advert for a little arab mare, she was up for £3000 or full loan, she was a little further than I was expecting to travel but we emailed a lot and she told me all about her and I thought she sounded great, plus I couldn't find anything suitable locally at the time so I thought Id go and see her. I took her in the menage and then we went out for a couple of hours hacking and had a great time, although I was already sure I wanted her I said I would have a think about it. Later on I spoke to her and said I would love to have her and we started arranging when she would come to me and I was looking for a yard to keep her at.
I found a yard and spoke to her owner and said I have to put a deposit down for the stable so are we 100% on this and the moving date - "YES YES YES!!" so I put down a deposit and the date got closer, 2 days before she was coming I got an email saying 'Im sorry but I cant let her go I've decided to keep her etc etc' the reason she was looking for a new home was because she was a young horse and she wasnt doing anything with her....so she would keep her and still do nothing!:rolleyes:
Obviously I was really fuming after paying a deposit and getting everything ready but there was nothing I could do about it.
Then a few weeks later I found Beau and Im soooooooo glad it didnt work out with the other horse coz beau's great and everything I could ask for in a horse! Her owners also very nice and has let me get on with it as though she is my horse with no interference.

So keep looking and you will find the right horse for you!!! ;)

And also make sure you get a written loan agreement, if you are laoning with a view to buy its a good idea to put the sale price in the agreement then you wont get any nasty surprises after a year when they decide they want £3000 instead of £1500 - I've heard this happen before!!

Good luck! :D

Hi

I have just had a year of people like this messing me about. Walk away something else will turn up. Look on the positive side as you hopefully will spot this kind of horse owner next time. At least you had not taken the horse on. My last loan ended up with me having the horse for a week only and the owner telling me find £3000 IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS or the horse will be put up for sale from your yard ! I booked transport and took the horse back that day. I wish you all the best and you will find what you are looking for. Keep your ears open in the local area that is how I found my fella and I had travelled miles in that year to find the right one and he was on my doorstep.:)

newrider.com