Somethings Changed

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
Over the last few weeks some oddities have happened when I arrive at the yard :

1) Cocaine came running over to me at trot when I arrived in her paddock:eek: I thought she wanted to beat her mates to the carrot I usually have on me

2) I turned her out and faffed about in the stables looking through my tack box for something when I heard a major whinny, I turned round only to find it was Cocaine calling at me, I thought maybe she's hoping for a carrot

3) I arrived at the stables today and had to make several trips to & from car with tac I'd taken home to clean. I was faffing about (again:p) clipping stuff back together etc etc when I heard another loud whinny. I turned round to find Cocaine on the other side of the fence calling me.

This is the mare I've had for 2 years and she's never ever uttered one sound to me. In fact the only comment she ever used to make to me was the frequent sling of a shoulder or lift at the rear end to get me off.
I think she finally loves me:cool::cool::cool::D Yayyyy!!! I love her too:p

Awh how sweet!!! It's a very rare thing to hear my lad's voice and never is it directed at me so I feel your cautious joy at this haha. I've realised he shows he cares in other ways. His favourite: walking past me and pausing with bottom level, lifting tail and farting a symphony.

Reactions: orbvalley
Oh bless her, it makes you wonder how their brains work, 2 years to realise a voice can get you rewards :p

Jess is very vocal and talks to me when I arrive, when I'm getting her food and occasionally if she wants a scratch, she also makes her happy noise when we're riding. Hank on the other hand, I don't think, has ever talked to me. He calls to Jess often and he does give this little squeak if I startle him but thats as close as it gets.

Has anything changed riding wise?

Yes loads! I'm much more strict with her than I've ever been (since I fell off and got knocked out again), I finally realised that I needed to be very much stronger with her as she was definitely taking over the leader post. I think she's just one of those horses that needs a strong leader who never ever waivers otherwise she'll be in there doing it herself & it gets dangerous!
Her response riding wise has been to start going in some lovely outlines, longer concentration, bigger efforts and she's stopped totally lifting her rear end up or trying to slide me off of her shoulder. Oh annnnddd she jumps everything I put in front of her no matter how bad my line is getting her there! It finally feels as though she wants to be in this team with me:):):)
She might just be the best little horse in the world yet :D

ETA: in fact its like she's finally stopped fighting me, not in an oppressed beaten way more like she's just done it through choice.

That's great to hear. She reminds me of Ziggy in lots of ways, especially the evasions. I'm trying to be stricter with him too - so good that it is working for you AND has unexpected benefits!

I think mares do take a long while to want to be with you and care that they have their own human! Storm was a long time before really taking much notice of me - she cared more about leaving her herd than being with me in the early days. Even for food she wasn't too vocal. Different story now, she's definitely my bestie:D

newrider.com