Something to raise money for charity - Ideas please

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
As a lot of you know, my baby son "J" (now 17 months) has a metabolic condition called MCAD.

This week has been a bad week. J is generally ill most of the winter months but his condition can be controlled by feeding glucose regularly. Friday J had a throat infection/infected tonsils. This caused his temperture to go up to 39.5 and for his MCAD to become a problem.

We spent friday night and saturday in hospital because he would not take his glucose. Keeping a drip in a wriggly, sweating 17 month old is a lot harder then when he was a little baby. It makes me feel helpless. We're back home now because he won't keep the drips in so we're trying to force him to have oral antibiotics and 150ml of glucose every 3 hours day and night.

I am tired and feel ill at the possibility of what might happen if we can't get the glucose in. (MCAD causes instant sudden death)

I need a project to stop me thinking about that side of things.

I want to raise some money doing something next year to raise awareness of MCAD and other metabolic diseases. Although J's condition is rare (diagnosed) it is thought to be the undiagnosed cause of 1 in every 5 cot deaths. I was lucky and Jay was screened for it at birth (he wouldn't be here by now if he hadn't been as he had his first attack at 3 days old) but not everywhere screen's. We were part of a pilot scheme.

I would like to do something horsey to raise money but I don't know what I could do....suggestions please???! I want to do it next year to give me ample time to plan it.

Also has anyone ever used a website like just giving for example where people can donate? How does it work?

I'm also not sure what I should do with any money that is raised? I know I would like to give some to Great Ormand Street as they have been really supportive and are there for us 24/7. They also do a lot of research and have a dedicated metabolic unit which includes research and screening.

I would also like to give some to a charity called Climb, it doesn't do a lot of public stuff but it does most of the research into metabolic diseases and covers a lot of them from the rare to the well known.

I would also like to give some to my local hospital as although they are a real pain to get through to sometimes, maybe it will help raise awareness? (I have to explain his condition everytime I go even though he's on instant access as most staff have no knowledge of it).

Ideas gratefully recieved.

If you would like more info on MCAD look at these links:
http://www.wohproject.org/Disorders/mcad-medium-chain-deficiency
http://www.fodsupport.org/mcad.htm

i am sorry to hear about your little boy.
ideas to raise money;

eyebrows shaved off and funny hat day

horse agility day- i dont know how you would go about arranging it for charity, but it looks like fun

auction of promises

funday of horse activity- with men as horses? as race horses, or carriage horses. something silly and hold a bbq get a band or dj to donate a session ( i like lokisofis horses on her post yesterday - but it would be pricey to buy 10 of those for a funday so men will have to do - ride them instead)

raffle for services like alternative therapies, or a portrait of a pet, car service, ask around small bussinesses for donations of service or goods, hairdresser , barber, etc.

cant think of anymore, but when you get the basic idea together, get the local paper and radio involved in advertising it, local shops etc. schools
local council to find out about permits or anything that might be needed

I'm no good At ideas but I think what you're planning is great And should give you something positive to focus on.when you find out more sbout how to get a site up and running,let us know so we can donate,it's for a very good cause,and one that not many people are aware of x

Sorry to hear about J, it must be very stressful. I know how I felt when my 3yo was rushed into hospital last year.

I think its a very lovely idea to do something to raise money for MCAD. I cant really offer any advice I'm afraid.

I know its a bit ambicous:eek: (sp) but how about a small show? I'm not sure if you have any land or if you could maybe charm the pants off a local farmer! I am sure you would get classes sponsered by local businesses etc & prizes donated. Volenteers to help run the day and judge. All entry money would be donated to MCAD. Now I am thinking about it, there would be alot to organise and I'm not sure about insurance.

Horsey table top sale, charge £20 per table at a local village hall. £2 entry. Maybe other NR's would hold them up and down the country in aid of MCAD.

Ok, so I think maybe I'm getting a bit carried away!:eek: Good luck.x

How about a fun ride in a park?
There's one here annually and I know they raise quite a decent amount.
Would be a challange to organise but I'm sure you would get plenty of help and local tack shops etc shouldn't have a problem with letting you put up an advert on a notice board as it's for charity.
You could charge a set amount for entry and try to get people to ask for sponsership from family/friends, all going to the cause and to encourage, maybe a trophy for the three with the highest amount raised in sponsership?

As for the website, it would be easier to set one up using something like Google Blogger, Wix or Webs ect ect, there's tons of them.
Then you could set up a Paypal account, they have something where they can create a free 'Button' for your webpage (they give you a code in html for you blog/website) so people can donate to a set cause, any amount that they want or an amount stated by you, they don't necessarly have to have a paypal account for this and can pay by credit card or paypal.

People may be a bit leery of donating so you'd want to explain about the cause as much as you could and try to make it as public as possible so people know they're not handing their money over to just anyone!

Even without the publicity, I'd think you'd get a lot of donations from the lovely people on New Rider ;)
Good Luck!

Just giving is really easy too :)

Almost sort of like paypal... Just set up your page and people go on an pay - you dont see money but donations and donaters are listed if they wish :) They know chairty is getting money and you dont have to faff about with cheques etc :)

Good luck and hope that whatever you do raises lots of money. Let us know what you decide to do and I'm sure I won't be the only one that will sponsor / make a donation.
Keep us posted! (And hope you get some rest soon after your worrying time.) Healing vibes to your little one too.

Would it be possible to get a famous rider to do a free clinic at a decent sized venue and then sell tickets? You could try to get the venue for free in exchange for publicity.
You could do a raffle and ask for prizes to be donated such as a lesson with someone well known or a free pet portrait or photograph.
Ask the large companies whether they will provide any freebies or promotional items.

Sorry to hear you're having it rough at the moment.

I think a fun ride would be good. You could get volunteers to do a BBQ for before/after which would also raise money. Sell drinks and stuff.

Also an auction of horsey stuff - but it depends what you can get donated.

If you decide to go ahead, I could give you a hand with press releases and a poster. It's what I do so I can do horses!

When I was younger we used to have car washathons and it used to raise heaps of money. BUt you need a load of volunteers. People tend to sponsor people as they get something out of it when they bring their car to wash. Then people donate as you wash the cars. We used to do it in a supermarket carpark and have a sort of drive through. Not horsey though.

not horse related but a very good way to raise money is a bag pack.

You organise a group or 20 or so people, visit a supermarket, put your buckets on the end of the till and pack peoples groceries for them! Most decent people will drop a few coins in the bucket.

Most supermarkets are happy to accommodate charity bag packers if you contact them and it is surprisingly lucrative - we raised over a grand in 4 hours!

You could also have people on the doors with balloons and collection boxes and maybe arrange matching poloshirts for everyone involved.

It can be a fun day (if not a little tiring on the legs!)

Whatever you decide i wish you luck and coming from someone who has personal experience with an often misunderstood condition i think your idea is commendable, well done :)

newrider.com