Someone Wants to Ride Honey - Legal Stuff HELP

Cheeky

.Love me, love my horse.
Apr 13, 2005
Down Under ... Australia
G'day,

Right I've had interest expressed about riding Honey on Saturdays (advert wasn't even up for 10 mins!!), but I wanna get this whole legal thing sorted.

I know it's not nec .. but the girl is 13, and I dont want her mum to yell at me should something happen. I already told her that a parent with a drivers license and a car must stay on the property (emailed so they have a copy), but should I get them to sign something to say I am not responsible?

I can't control what Honey will and will not do, espec if I'm at work!

Any help would be great .. if you've had experience in writing these sorts of papers I'd appreciate it. also any eg.s would be appreciated :)

you should get a sheet that says you are responsible i9f honey hurts her in any way and get her parent and her to sign it

That I am responsible .. I can see your point. But I am looking for someone who I can just leave to ride without me there ..

This is a risky business! I think I'll just keep her without a weekend rider ..

My friend has a young girl that rides her horse 3 days a week. They have a contract and I can't remember all the ins and outs but I know the non-negotiables are:

1) Rider must have her own rider insurance
2) Owner is not to be held liable in case of an accident, unless caused through her negligence, as horses are unpredictable animals.
3) Rider must have somebody on foot if riding out alone, or be with at least two adults if riding out in company.
4) Rider must wear hi viz if riding out.
5) Rider is not allowed to let anybody else ride the horse on her days.
6) Rider must contact Owner in case of problems/emergencies.

This was signed by my friend, the rider and her mother. There's a clause in there that should the rules be broken, my friend can terminate the contract immediately.

Look at the BHS loan agreement and cut it down for your needs - it has all the useful phrases in it.
It also mentions getting it signed with witnesses etc - very useful

Perhaps this 13yr old is not the one then! Maybe it would be better to advertise for a mature young adult rather than a child. If you do go with the child, it may be worth putting something in your agreement about having a parent hacking out with her.....because she may start bringing friends of the same age up the yard instead, and sometimes they can start showing off and being silly.

I think I would be more inclined to have an adult ride.

i think a 13year old is fine...when i was that age i used to exercise lots of people horses for them...and school them....on my own.

The only thing i would say is that a adult must know where they are and they must have a mobile phone on them for any emergencies. Also i would put a rule saying no friends allowed up without prior permission.

I would not consider anyone under the age of 16 to ride my horse (if I had one that is!). I would want someone with experience who I could totally trust to ride and care of the horse. I would hold out until you get a suitable adult respond to your ad.

I wouldn't let a 13 year old ride, I had a 14 year old and she was nothing but trouble, and her mum gave me loads of stick as girl fell out with loanee of my other horse!

Just got fed up in the end! They are not responsible enough and prefer washing tails than poo picking!

newrider.com