Someone tell me I'm crazy!...and Hello!

chez33

Sep 3, 2010
Hi everyone

I'm new here!

My story.....

Owned and loaned various horses from 12 then stopped at 23 and ridden about 4 times since, I'm now 39!!
About to buy a 16.2 Anglo Arab 16yr old but VERY lovely and calm Chestnut mare....not only that but I will be on my own, have managed to rent a stable, shelter, tack room and 2 small paddocks!! not only that but also getting a 2yr old shetland xwelsh as a companion, hoping to bring that on nicely for the kids in 2 yrs time.
Please tell me I'm mad! everything seems to have changed since I was last in the horsey world, all this 'outline' instead of on the bit and what happened to New Zealand rugs?
Anyway just needed to get that off my chest, I'm not really that nervous just a bit scared of not having back up as I have no horsey friends anymore. There are people around that I can call upon if need be and my hubby etc are 100% in it with me.
Oh and I've also got 2 kids aged 2 and 4.
Reading this back I know the answer to my question.

Any tips???

Cheryl x

Hi & Welcome!!

Not crazy for getting the horses, but slightly crazy for keeping them 'on your own'....

I had a break from horses for a while (2 yrs), and then bought a youngster - I'm so glad I was on a livery yard and had loads of advice and help at hand. That's my sensible head......

My not so sensible head..... GO FOR IT!! What's the worst that can happen??? :biggrin:

Hi and welcome!

I went back to horses after a break of quite a few years while I had my children aged 11,8,5,4 and 2 and like you wondered where all the new zealand rugs were and what 'turnout rugs' were! You're not alone there.

When I came back to horses about 4yrs ago I didn't have any horsey friends anymore and this forum was a big help and the reason I joined it back then. You'll soon meet new horsey people though and quickly catch up!

Good luck with your new venture/s!

Last edited:
Welcome,

I went back to horses after a break of 5 years, where i had my daughter and my son.

They are both 5 and 3 so not too disimilar to yours. It is very hard work don't get me wrong and there are some scary moments but the rewards are great!

Good luck with your new purchases and if you need any help just ask! :biggrin:

Thanks everyone I actually feel a whole lot better now! I was bracing myself for people saying don't do it! thank god for forums eh! you are all now officially my back up and my new horsey friends!!

Hi and welcome, you may horse ownership a steep learning curve - I know that I did as I'd had a few years break before getting back in to it! Am sure everyone on here will be able to help with any questions you may have - we're all a friendly bunch

You might even find that another NR person lives in your area - you never know

Hi and welcome to NR.............

NO you are NOT mad.........join the rest of us lol.

At 51 and out of the Horse world for some time other than a very short
'loan' with view to buy, that didn't work out, I went and bought a Youngster aged 2:bounce:

I then had a neck injury (nothing to do with Horse) but he was very 'full on'
and deemed to be too much of a risk, so I sold him to a lovely woman, who
I have since become good friends with............and went and bought
ANOTHER YOUNGSTER.........but Younger, a Yearling, to give my neck injury
time to 'heal'.

I then moved her last year from a friends 'small yard' to a little place of our
own and bought.........ANOTHER YOUNGSTER, lol, this time a Shetland, aged
2 for my Grandaughter......

This year has seen me back both and they are now coming along very nicely and I have loved every minute of it (well almost every minute).........Its been hard work with the two Youngsters, both 3 in June and trying to teach my
Grandaughter the 'basics' of Riding but I would not have missed it all for the world.

As long as you have some support and are not 'too proud' to ask when you
need help, you will be absolutely FINE:wink: However, you best judge of 'getting things right' will be
your Horses, spend lots of time with them, getting to know their personalities then remain firm, fair and consistant so they know where they stand from day one and 'listen' to them, they will soon let you know
if its going 'wrong', lol. xx
x

ENJOY:bounce:

Last edited:
Lots of us are a lot older than you and remember the dark (green canvas and jute) ages!!!

Too right! :bounce: Jute rugs, blankets and rollers - fully clipped horses turned out in just a New Zealand rug (no different weights!!) New Zealands taking AGES to dry if allowed to get soaking wet!! :biggrin:

Hi, welcome :bounce:

You only live once - go for it:smug::smug:

You are not on your own if you belong to this forum,:biggrin::biggrin: some of the advice given to others helps me as well, I don't post much but am a serial lurker and a newbie to horses & ownership, but took the plunge and bought my own horse, been my dream for a long long long time, if you don't go for it prob regret it later - as using a zimmer frame for a mounting block not a good look :bounce::bounce:

Good luck and enjoy :showoff:

Oh yeh - your crazy :yellowcarded: (you did ask) :giggle:

Hi and welcome! I am 50 and bought my first horse only 6 months ago. He is a little project and I have had a couple of lulu falls but I wouldn't be without him and this has been the happiest summer I remember since I was 10 and someone lent me a pony for 3 weeks.

This forum is great, everyone is so supportive and helpful, and at least you know that "I'm mad, you're mad, we're all mad." :bounce::dance::skip::giggle:

newrider.com