Someone is feeling well. He's too fresh!!!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Well. Mr sox is doing Very well indeed! At present we are suppose to be increasing the amount of trotting we are doing (i have gone from 1 hour of walking to 30 mins to include the trot) a few days a week. However someone is feeling so well aññ sox wants to do is canter and be able to have a good blast! However he isnt fit enough to do that yet! I decided to trot home a few days ago as he was cantering down the road again, well trying to! I had decided to do transitions halt to walk and walk to trot trot to walk etc. But he got too excited.
I am going to ask my YO if i can go in one of the spare fields on the yard. So if he does csnter off or buck.... yes it is very hard ground but atleast we are confined.
A few of the girls have said to allow him to have a blast but i worry he would do something, pull something.
As the E said (the vet) "we would have given our right arm for this last year"

We have fixed him too much!!! @Jessey @MrC @carthorse.
Never ever did i ever think i would be complaining actually complaining about my horse been too fresh!

Any advice?

Turn out 24/7 and cut out any feed that's not needed besides any supplements.
I use transitions to get mine more awake and forwards so maybe this is winding yours up?

Is taking him in a field likely to make him think it means go? I school in ours so it doesn't mean yeeha.

Smile and enjoy it :D you've worked so hard to get him feeling well again. I'd try bringing in more brain work, lateral work, really working through and changing within the paces you're doing. The ground here is too hard to blast a horse without history let alone one with.

Reactions: lauren123
Turn out 24/7 and cut out any feed that's not needed besides any supplements.
I use transitions to get mine more awake and forwards so maybe this is winding yours up?

Is taking him in a field likely to make him think it means go? I school in ours so it doesn't mean yeeha.
He is out 24/7 in the summer anyway :D. Feed wise he gets hay as he is strip grazed and he does get quite alot of feed purely as if not he drops quickly. Though its all high fibre low starch and sugar. Previously he has needed waking up. Though atm he doesnt lol.

Smile and enjoy it :D you've worked so hard to get him feeling well again. I'd try bringing in more brain work, lateral work, really working through and changing within the paces you're doing. The ground here is too hard to blast a horse without history let alone one with.
I enjoyed it lol. Just wish it wasnt on the road lol. He was listening and doi g well when i did lateral work with him before i did the transitions.

I was going to say the same as @newforest , transitions can wind them up so I'd steer clear of that sort of thing when hacking. Maybe instead try to work on stretching & get him to swing along in a relaxed manner - be sensible about it though, don't just chuck the reins at him & then wonder why he's off.

I wouldn't go for a blast unless you can find some decent going, it's certainly too hard here though it might be different with you. Maybe, just maybe, if you've got some woodland tracks they'd be ok but be aware of tree roots & low branches or we won't like the post telling us about it!

It's great to hear he's feeling so well now :D

newrider.com