Somebody, 'Bertie', needs to learn some MANNERS, lol. SH*TLANDS!!

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
now I am NOT NEW to Shetlands, lol.

My mate had several so I know their 'characters'. One of hers, Gadget, would reverse and sit on your lap:) Was a Foal at the time so not too much of a problem:p

I know they have 'little Man syndrome':D

Took Bertie for a walk yesterday, now he has always been on the 'plump' side from day one, never lost an ounce of weight thro' the Winter, still has loads
of Winter Coat and I can't make up my mind if its just 'HIM' OR if he is indeed
a bit on the 'fat' side........ I don't have loads of grass, certainly haven't needed to restrict grazing as yet. Yesterday decided to take him out for
a Walk, off we went and the edges along the lanes are FULL of grass and
obviously other 'horsey delectables'. Decided he was 'fat enough' and that
I wouldn't let him nibble but he obviously had other plans:rolleyes:

TWICE, he put me in a HEDGE:eek: When I told him off in no uncertain terms, VOCALLY ONLY I hasten to add, and explained that we were 'calorie counting' he looked me straight in the
eye and TOOK IT LIKE A MAN:p I thought we had 'reached an understanding';)

On the way back I decided to make the little sh*te TROT, and he DID,
like a PRO, straight into a gap and THROUGH the hedgerow, with me in TOW, into a 10 ACRE FIELD full of GRASS...........

I HONESTLY thought I was gonna 'wet myself', I was trying to tell him off, but Boy, I could not help but laugh tbh which is WRONG, I know, but I just
find him SO FUNNY........Anyway I appreciate its NOT funny and poor
'starving' Bertie is gonna be taken out again today..........AND LEARN SOME
MANNERS:p

Last edited:
Hahahahahahha, oh I had to laugh, brilliant story! I wish you luck but glad it's you not me who's trying to teach a sh*tland manners!!!!! :p

When you have the answer let me know - my little man is usually very good, but we do have our moments usually involving me on the end of the lead rope trying to stay on my feet and someone else's prize lawn:eek:

at least he is only shetland size. Odin is at horrid youngster stage and attempts above antics but he's 14hh. He is quickly learning that rude behaviour is not accepted but he also doesn't care:rolleyes:

Well its funny you should say that LokiSofi because in all honesty I find it
far easier to hang on to Sioned at 14.1 ish, than I do Bertie.

He is incredibly STRONG, in the field he has got away from me twice whereas
Sioned has never suceeded. Must be something to do with strength versus
height ratio or something:p He is incredibly FAST as well, when he
WANTS to be;)

Touble is I find him hilarious. You can physically see him and Hear him sigh when I ask him to do anything:D I think he is definately a little fella that
is going to 'endure' his work rather than 'enjoy' it, unless its eating of course or Children, he always 'bucks up' when Children are about, but I think he thinks 'aw, Children = SWEETS = TREATS:p

Last edited:
haha that's so funny - I've been going through the exact dilemma with my shetland!

Whereabouts in Bristol are you - we could take the little monsters out together :D

Reading through this is so funny! My Shetland mare also manages to drag me about (she's so strong), never takes a telling and she also sighs when I am clearly annoying her (taking more than 2 seconds to open a gate)!

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3
It's funny, the only time we got dragged about was with a pony called Shilling during worming attempts, then he would make off with 3 folk, averaging 14 stone each, clinging on to various bits!

......and folk ask if they can pull a cart with an adult in it! :D :D

Other than that I tend to lead about 4 at a time like a bunch of balloons.....and heaven help them that step out of line ;)

I know Wally, its my own fault, I have to say most of the time he is
very good, but the sight of all that grass was just too much for him, he really doesn't have that much in his field.

In all honesty I could probably have stopped him had I not been laughing
so much. I didn't actually let him eat much of it anyway once we got
there:D However I honestly think lb for lb he is far stronger than Sioned.

Anyway, today I was given a bit of a bonus. After feeding endless hay
all Winter, and still feeding hay now, the Owner of my Field stopped to chat and I was saying about 'no grass' etc, etc., when she said 'why aren' you
using the 4 corners I told you about. Now to explain, there are 4 small paddocks between my field and the next Yard, she had mentioned these before but I thought they belonged to next door, the next Yard, which happens to be her Brother-in-law.

HOWEVER, THEY DON'T, they come with MY FIELD:) They are FULL of Grass, better still OLD GRASS cos it hasn't been grazed since the year before last. I just WISH I had known this in the Winter:rolleyes:

Bertie and Sioned went into Paddock No.1 for 3/4 hour today and I will
let them in again tomorrow.......for 30 minutes, cos it took me 30 minutes
to then get them back OUT:rolleyes: Sioned could definately do with some
Grass, Bertie..........well, I would rather he had the grass than the hay, but
will closely moniter what he does have and they can only go in when I am there as the fencing keeps being cut for people to take a short cut with their
DOGS:eek: Some people have so much cheek. Thankfully I can electric fence them in, but there is too much grass for them to stay
in there for any length of time, plus I don't want my fencing cut or unit going walkies.

I think one, maybe two, of these paddocks will do them for the Summer, the other two I will have topped and have Grass for the Winter, these
two paddocks are much safer as well.

BONUS.

I did take him out again today, AFTER he had been on the grass and I have to say he was much much better just wanting bits of the 'cow parsley' now
and then:)

Last edited:
newrider.com