Some bit help please

Morganna

Feb 23, 2006
North Lanarkshire
Had Arion out on the cross country field for the first time yesterday:D We had a blast and he did really well considering he has never done XC before as far as we know. A few run out to start but I think thats more rider confidence than anything lol

Anyhoo, he was like a tank between jumps - and despite my RI telling me "its not strong, its enthusiasm which is what we want", its not her arms being ripped out their sockets trying to hold him back cantering downhill:eek:

He is currently ridden in a hanging cheek french link snaffle and goes lovely in it for flat work and SJ - I just think I need a teeny wee bit extra help with the brakes across the XC field but I dont want to go as far as a gag.

Any suggestions on makes or bit that might be useful. I fully expect to be able to ride him XC in the hanging cheek once my XC muscles get back in shape, in the meantime I just need a little help:)

i am thinking to go to french link hanging cheek bit with some copper now, as my TB can be strong and shoots head up when jumps or does flying changes...

MB try the same shape, just a bit thiner or with some unevenes on the surface of the bit?

Do you play with reins when you ride? you dont just pull, right?

Cant use a grackle, he hates them. No idea what he would be like with curb action but might give that a go. I have a Kimblewick ported straight bar thingy in my box, how much stronger would that be - its what I used on my last horse for XC but he was like a flippin tank across the field.

Cant use a grackle, he hates them. No idea what he would be like with curb action but might give that a go. I have a Kimblewick ported straight bar thingy in my box, how much stronger would that be - its what I used on my last horse for XC but he was like a flippin tank across the field.

that's what i use, a ported kimblewick..i love mine as you can adjust how strong it is in how much you tighten the curb, or even use a leather curb, mine is also slotted so can adjust rein height. if you ride in a hanging cheek i think its a good step up as got some poll action too.

ps. did you get a PM from me btw?

loop ring french link?
An 'inbetween' - murph goes very nicely in it :)

419a6958-815f-49e5-bfb6-7c3315a53ec7.jpg

Thats the bit I mentioned to you hun!!

Would you like to try Kias?? He isnt using it at this precise point shouldnt need it til XC or JX in Aug!!

Nikki xxx:)

Thanks Nik, that would be great. I do think we will be fine in the hanging cheek once I get the hang of him across a XC course, he is not really that strong, but strong enough for me to find it difficult to slow him for jumps without yanking on the reins - he was definately full of enthusiasm anyway which is a good thing really:D

newrider.com