So who thinks electrified bungy cord will keep bargey haffy in?!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So my yard owner said she would organise a pen for my boy a month ago. This is his second month of boxrest. We agreed wooden pen, v sturdy etc. I'm happy to pay, get people to do it but she took control.

Apparently the pen is done. All she has done is stretch two strands of bungey cord across and attach to a battery.

I reckon this has no chance at all of keeping him in and I'm really annoyed she didn't ask me first. Now she expects me to move all his bedding etc and try him in it which is a ton of work.

I'm scared he will just barge through and run away, what do you all think???

Hmmm no, I don't think I'd be happy

Does he usually respect electric fences? Are there any reinforcements? What has she attached the cord to? When I first turned Rubic out in a paddock (about 24mx24m (4 stables)) within a field we had a plastic fence post every metre double stranded electric tape and the corners were reinforced with extra posts or some fancy metal contraption the farmer had (I'm sure there will be a name for it but I don't know it!) so the fence had some support and very little give. Obviously it was all hooked up to a battery. This was for a horse who is usually very calm, not at all bargy and respects electric fencing.

We got a bit more lax with it once we realised she was just happy to be out with some food.

He doesnt respect any fencing tbh no.

He will be on hardstanding so once he's finished his hay can just see him escaping within seconds.

Why could she not just ask me about it!?

If he doesn't respect electric then I wouldn't give it a cat in hell's chance!

I'm sorry, but if I were you I'd politely tell her this wasn't what you'd discussed, in fact it isn't even close, & you aren't prepared to put him in it. If (when!) he escapes he could set his recovery right back to square one & I wouldn't be prepared to risk that if he was mine.

I wouldn't put him in it either. My horse is similar to yours in that he will simply walk through electric fences, especially if there is the hope of food at the other side. It's not worth taking the risk.

Ask if you can hire some Heras security fencing. A friend used it as a temporary pen for a new young stallion with no issues and it doesn't need fixing in the ground or anything.

I used this for managing junes grazing, and she could literally get out of anything. She has jumped over post and rail fencing like it was a every day little jump. Great stuff if you can get hold of some!!

our gang know when the battery on the fence is low and take advantage. we used to have one completely on mains and that stopped them dead.....as it really pinged them, but the battery ones are a bit feeble.

Joe used to chance his hoof with the leccy - often! The old devil once managed to cut himself on barbed wire (not ours I must add) because the battery was running low and he decided the pain would be worth it for the grass at the other side!!!!

newrider.com