So we had a 'real' dentist today.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
And I am mortified. It would seem Dolly has TMD - the jaw on her left side almost totally locked and has probably been like that to a lesser degree for several years. I have had her four years, and apart from one wiz kid who trained for a couple of weeks in America or somewhere, I have always used my vet. The dentist thinks she probably rarely if ever had her teeth done before she came to me.:(

So he said he didnt want to sedate her as this altered the shape of the jaw and he needed it 'as is' to work correctly to rectify the locking jaw. Much to my surprise she allowed work with power tools and apart from her chest shivering likie a jelly she allowed him do do what he needed. He was very gentle and kind, she responded well to that approach.

He reeled off all the minor problems I have had with her and confirmed my suspicion that something was very wrong in her mouth/head region. She will now need a physio or TTouch person to help her realign all her muscles on her left hand side - her shoulder in particular that I suspected last summer she was shoulder lame, as did my vet.....apparently just a typical ongoing compensation from her poor misaligned jaw. Apparently her floppy bottom lip is also a good sign that she has this problem. (If only I had known or my vet had known!!) She has been doing that since she was a three year old! Also very stiff on left rein, not very good at extending trot, very short and choppy if she strikes off on that leg......the list goes on and on.

So he will be back in six months, but expects I will see a difference in her within a couple of weeks, but even more difference when we are getting the physio side done. Sadly she will never be 100 per cent on that side, as the muscle and tendons and all soft tissue will have formed around the jaw over several years but with regular dental alignment and physio she will be far more comfortable and supple and able to maintain an outline and work properly. This is apparently a common thing over here that he sees, particularly in hunters that rarely see a dentist and have years and years of compensation in their way of going purely because oif this sort of mouth problem, but nobody cares, they will still jump a ditch and gallop with the hounds sop whats the problem?:mad:

I feel so guilty I didnt research more and get a properly qualified EDT out to her, I placed too much trust in my vet......but as my OH said 'Well you wouldnt expect your GP to tell you if you needed root canal treatment?' I guess that is true, but my confidence in him is shaken badly.:(

Sorry to hear this. Our vets have always done our horses because they are all well qualified in dental work and undergo continuous training in dental work. I've never had any cause to doubt their ability and its something I worry muchly about for when we move as I know not all vets are made equal on this score.
Does your current vet profess to be capable in this area?
I am glad you have found an equine dentist - and good to hear Dolly tolerated it well. I dread the day when ours have a new person doing theirs - specially as Storm has diastema quite badly and has to be picked and flushed every three months as opposed to normal six.

I might have to get the name of the guy you used, mine are due soon and have always been done by my vet :/

Mark Higgins NA - he is brilliant, I did my research and probably the most qualified in Ireland, all qualifications recognised in the UK too. Quite expensive E68 = but we are out in the sticks so everything costs more. Let me know if you need his number.

Trwesers I have never been entirely happy with her mouth, she came to me in a happy mouth type nylon bit that was chewed into sharp spikes, never really relaxed if you took up a contact (and I am not heavy handed I promise! ;)) Been through many bits trying to find one she is settled in....finally in a Neue Schule Salox hanging cheek french link and she does less gurning but still not 100 per cent happy.. Also had issues with her very stiff on left rein, some very slight lameness late last summer on near side front and seemed more shoulder related according to me, vet and saddler. Also very choppy in trot on one lead but not on the other. Starts bottom lip flapping immediately the bit is in her mouth, vet thought it was nothing but habit, same as saddler, more experienced horse people than I - but I was convinced there was more to it all. Rides very high headed when you ask for an upward transition and difficult to get her to really round up and work nicely.

And the real thing that finally forced me to try and get deeper into the problem was the fact that when I traced previous owners I had accounts of her literally 'exploding' when forced in a heavy handed way to go forward or over a ditch or whatever was being asked of her. I had sussed a couple of years back that you really do NOT force her on when she isn't happy and you do not hang on her mouth at anytime for any reason. This way we have avoided explosions and freak outs, I keep the contact soft and let her think things through and then gently nudge her on. She is such a very good natured and stoical mare and so happy to oblige that the explosions did not add up to me, I truly felt that somewhere something was hurting her when people got tough with her.

The fact that it isn't really much of an issue for me as I now know how to deal with her, doesn't mean she isn't hurting somewhere and needing help. So I thought I would start with a very good EDT and take it from there. Thank goodness I did. Still feel bad it has taken me four years to get to this point though! :oops:

Oh don't feel bad. You have sorted it all out now and dolly will feel great for your care.

I had similar but slightly worse. I used a dentist but didn't realise her training was the usa quick thing. Used her for years but when i got ginger he reared with me. I wanted a second opinion and his mouth was a mess. I felt crap had used her every six months for years with chanter.

Changed to an edt and wow what a difference

Reactions: Cortrasna
Glad you've sorted it. Poor old Dolly. I don't think you should feel guilty though, she's really fallen on her feet with you. Not many other people would have made the effort to look further into her niggles when she was apparently sound and happy.

Definitely don't feel guilty! We pay the 'professionals' to do what we are not trained to do and we trust them to do the right job. Just give yourself a pat on the back for taking things further when you had your suspicions about her not being quite right, she is a very lucky Dolly to have you as an owner.

VERY interesting! And poor Dolly!!

I've been using my vet for the boys' dental work because I was formerly paying into a health plan. However, I knocked that on the head when we moved to the yard as part of the health plan included three worm counts per year and the new yard has a blanket worming policy (the only thing I don't agree with, but understand that not every horse owner is as consciencious as me *polishes halo*) I recently said to Dom that I want Albi's mouth checked again as he is now rising 6 so a lot has happened in his mouth in the past couple of years. He has a VERY floppy bottom lip and is very still on his left rein. I had a physio/osteo out to him in the autumn and whilst he generally got a clean bill of health, she did do some work on his jaw, so you've now got me thinking, C. Think I'll be booking that dental app sooner rather than later now.

Can you explain what your EDT said about the floppy bottom lip then please? Is TMB quite a common thing?

Reactions: Cortrasna
Domane, he just explained it as when the Temporomandibular joint is misaligned this is TM Dysfunction and this has an impact on many muscles and nerves that can effect not only the lip movement but many areas of the head, poll, neck, shoulder and even the hip area as they can and do compensate, more so the longer they have had this problem in the jaw area. I found this article online and it is a very clear description of what is going on and does back up his theory that she will need physio or TTouch and a few dental visits until it can be as good as it will get for her, after all this time.
https://www.equinecraniosacral.com/articles/article2.html

He told me to start riding her today on a loose rein but she may be a bit sore - that was an understatemnt, she was very unhappy with the bit and not a pleasant ride at all! In the end I walked her in hand for a few miles, and by the time we turned for home she was far more relaxed and salivating nicely, so hopefully by tomorrow she will feel a bit better.

@domane if you need an EDT I can recommend you one. Used a different lady this year as the one I had been using for years left me not very impressed. I use the vet for major as he needs sedating (due to that awful EDT). But I used a lovely lady EDT for the girls in January and was very very impressed.

She was much better even yesterday thanks juliecwuk. A bit mouthy and twisting her head about for the first mile or so but soon settled and on the way home I risked taking up just a light contact and getting her walking nicely. Not sure if it was my imagination but not only did she not object, she seemed to move in a lovely loose walk with her neck down and relaxed. Onwards and upwards!:)

newrider.com