So the world was put to rights

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
So today in the wonderful spring like sunshine (on the spring equinox) I took Kia for a nice little hilly hack. :)

It felt amazing to be behind his ears again, I had a little happy cry moment when I was sitting on him looking out over the valley I have spent my entire life living in and hacking around, then when we turned for him the old swine sucked his butt underneath him and fecked off back up the hill on the tarmac in a very sprightly and strong canter for such an old pony. He set the neck so pulling him up was proving difficult, this is the pony I have ridden at the buckle in all gaits and in and out of company for years :rolleyes:

So I bridged my reins and popped him on the verge and let him get the tickle from his toes. He probably cantered for about 1/4 of a mile before he grudgingly went into walk and we hit the busier section of the country road. He bounced most of the way from there (video in my other thread) and stormed in trot again.

So definitely feeling good in himself which made me feel better about our situation.

Anyways pics :)

B415898B-EF2D-4EDC-8DE6-CCFF9036EE48.jpeg F6AC19F7-72E6-486A-9410-B2FC6780E14A.jpeg 2918B588-DF62-4EB6-81F6-0A7F19D2502B.jpeg 0B7DE16D-9262-46BF-9096-FC1CB0744669.jpeg C086991C-E388-44B1-A432-05C2855D5920.jpeg 940EFD9A-B60D-4D04-ABFB-656470A442DB.jpeg F811C997-98CB-4103-A077-68D5B60559AC.jpeg 9F6669B6-3368-4647-9ABD-6FA3534194FE.jpeg 90EDDCB1-BFA7-47B6-8B00-C893422A5B6D.jpeg

Kia’s feeds just now.

Big blue is beetpulp linseed meal and chaff, he pretty much has that twice a day as an aside from the main feeds

Small blue is his breakfast for tomorrow of balancer, grass/alfalfa nuts mix, linseed, chaff and meds

Green is his first dinner (4/5pm ish) nuts mix, linseed, chaff, equerry mash.

Black is his second dinner (7/8pm) which is the same as the first dinner except it has the rest of his meds and his joint supplement in.

20276891-6095-478A-A5E5-FA0D14C9B1AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Well if this was anyone else id be feeling sorry for them there horse doing that haha, but its good he was so lively, bet you was pleased, he looks very alert and happy! They are some good feeds there, takes me back to when i first got my cob and had to feed him some big feeds 3 times a day to try get energy and weight on him... Only thing was he wouldnt and still wont eat any form of beet! So we had d&h build up mix, grass nuts and some oil and balancers (all ok'd by the vet) its such a battle getting it right, hopefully he will do better once the spring grass comes (if it comes!!!) great photos, so happy to see this thread xx

Reactions: MrC

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Sounds like he isn't feeling what you are worrying about at all, and is full of the joys of spring :D

Random thought, does he really need chaff in his feeds? I just see chaff as a filler, to slow them down eating, or to add bulk for those who can't have much grub and is possibly just wasted tummy space when you are trying to get weight on (unless its a high cal chaff like alfa???) Just a though that it might cost you a teensy bit less and he might eat more of the high cal stuff in one sitting and save you feeding 5x a day :)

MrC

Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Sounds like he isn't feeling what you are worrying about at all, and is full of the joys of spring :D

Random thought, does he really need chaff in his feeds? I just see chaff as a filler, to slow them down eating, or to add bulk for those who can't have much grub and is possibly just wasted tummy space when you are trying to get weight on (unless its a high cal chaff like alfa???) Just a though that it might cost you a teensy bit less and he might eat more of the high cal stuff in one sitting and save you feeding 5x a day :)

He can be a bit greedy when eating so it’s literally a double handful just to add texture so he doesn’t choke being a guts lol :)

I go through a bag every two months :)

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
If there was a love button I'd press it, can only imagine how good it felt to get back behind your boys ears.

Am I right in thinking you want to add weight and his teeth aren't great? Have you tried ready mash extra? I've found that really good in the past. Sorry If I've missed something about his feeds, or there's some reason he can't have that due to meds, I must thought I'd mention as it helped my old boy.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrC

MrC

Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
If there was a love button I'd press it, can only imagine how good it felt to get back behind your boys ears.

Am I right in thinking you want to add weight and his teeth aren't great? Have you tried ready mash extra? I've found that really good in the past. Sorry If I've missed something about his feeds, or there's some reason he can't have that due to meds, I must thought I'd mention as it helped my old boy.

He can’t have anything with a cereal cintentnof 12% or more and the ready mash is full of cereals so I can’t, it’s not his Cushings he just can’t cope and takes a reaction. He turns into a maniac to handle and he gets lumps and his hair falls out :(