So nervous! and bit advise needed

Cerys

Sep 30, 2008
Cumbria
I am so scared!

I am having my first riding lesson in a year tomorrow!

With my own horse so even more scared as she is green in the school.
But i do trust her, my old horse used to bolt with me everytime I took her in the school so I think this is having a big effect on how nervous I am.

I also have to box her over there and will have to load her on my own (I can see me not getting much sleep tonight!)

Anyway, I digress, I need some advice on the bit I use, the options are:

Loose ring french link- originally bought for schooling, have used hacking but absolutely no breaks.

Loose ring sweet iron Carlisle bit (snaffle)- accepts the bit quite well, reaches forward into the contact, not brilliant breaks.

Or

Hanging cheek snaffle- really good breaks, good steering but does not really accept the bit and pokes her nose out abit.

Any thoughts- Or thoughts on other bits that may work well that I could purchase?

I would go for the hanging cheek and a flash is she's not good at accepting the bit: I tried loads and the full cheek seems to suit my lad best. I used a flash at the very start, not for long, as he just needed reminding that he has to do as told and accept the contact. I'd be tempted to ride on the buckle, if you feel safe enough, at least the first time, just to allow her the freedom to get used to being in the school and let her, to an extent, dictate the pace. Can you lead her round the school before you get on, so she gets over any silly spooky moments? Good luck: give us an update!:)

Yes I can I think, the RI is someone who has clipped my horse last year and this year, she is lovely and seems quite laid back. She has just achieved AI (if that is how to put it?) She tried to convince me to go last year but had no transport but she came last week and spotted the lorry so was like "aha no excuse now!!).

I do have a flash on her as she has (or did have) a habit of opening her mouth to evade the bit. I'm glad that you said haning cheek as this is the one I feel to have most control with and I only have to lightly squeeze the reins and she listens.

Neue scheule do a training bit specially developed for youngsters. I have one now for both my youngsters and am especially please with it for my little mare. She has been under the saddle for 18 months and seemed unhappy in all the bits I tried until I bought her the Neue Scheule for her. She is now so easy and happy in it and it's dressage legal. Try it and have a happy horse.

I do have a flash on her as she has (or did have) a habit of opening her mouth to evade the bit. I'm glad that you said haning cheek as this is the one I feel to have most control with and I only have to lightly squeeze the reins and she listens.

I think therfore that you should go with what you're comfortable with: if you feel safe, use the hanging cheek (I finally found an eggbutt mullen with full cheeks worked best on mine). You need to get your confidence back before you experiment with other bits and you need to feel in control. If she has no brakes with the other bits, avoid! Having said that, she should be aware of the school walls-let her mooch round before worrying too much about position, control etc. Just let her and you get used to being in the school and all the new sights and sounds. Have fun!

I'll try, I'm really starting to regret it now, I feel like i'm going to the gallows! Imagine if I ever entered a show! I keep telling myself that it will be fine when I get there.

I've never been particularly confident in the school and my old mare, Star, finished it off completely. I will let you know how I get on on Saturday when I'm back at work.

You go girl and enjoy:):).. large brandy before the lesson, ..........waiting to know how you go :)

newrider.com