So happy I nearly did a little dance, over an abscess

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Just been down to stick jess on the grass for a bit and change the poultice and we have a hole :D I am crossing everything, twice, that this is all the problem has been :D I'm not counting my chickens just yet but I would be the happiest person ever for a £1000 abscess if it is!
We poulticed for 5 days right after she went lame (22nd June), then another 5 days a week later before calling the vet, I just noticed a little nick in her heel last Thursday so Norm pulled the shoes on Friday and we have poltuiced and tubbed since then, got a hint of muck on Tuesday and a clear hole today :D

That would be a very deep rooted little git if it is. Hoping it is to, for your sake.
I think I said about an abscess back along, but if you can't find them, you can't find them.
Would xrays not have shown a blob?

Reactions: Jessey
First thing I said to the farrier was abscess as the only other time she has been lame in her life was one, we thought so until it didnt budge or improve in nearly a month which is when we called the vet. That last one the vet thought she'd done a tendon then, eventually it came out half way up her leg :eek: she's tough as old boots, apparently that includes her feet or it would have come out before now!
Apparently xrays dont always show them if they have granulated.

If would be lovely in a strange way if it was a abscess, keeping everything crossed for you. x

Jeez I feel your pain. Ziggy's abscess was so deep it didn't emerge for more than 4 weeks and led to remedial shoeing and the whole works. They are awful things.

Do I confess that my previous chap had two and I didn't know until they burst. I felt awful as we had just carried on. But he wasn't lame or anything.
The farrier asked if it cleared up OK and I said what abscess.

This is the hole that was there last night, I put a fresh hot, wet, Epsom salt poultice on when I found it, 3 hours later hot tubbed with Epsom salts, walked her for 20 mins and then put another hot, wet, Epsom salt poultice on and this morning I can't find the hole any more :( put another hot, wet, Epsom salt poultice and just hoping it continues to drain!
hole.JPG

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Well it has dried up and nothing more coming out but she is still a little lame and my farrier is away until tomorrow, hopefully he'll come out in the next couple of days and stick the hoof testers on and either try to open it up or put shoes back on if we decide the little bit of lameness isnt abscess related.

newrider.com