So amazing what you learn from your Blacksmith, lol....

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
And most of it not 'horsey related'...........what a GOSSIP :bounce:

BUT, my lips are sealed......never one to spread 'rumours':bounce::bounce::bounce:

On a more serious second of conversation and apologising profusely regarding their feet..........I was sort of on 'shutdown' because of the strangles in the Area so they missed the last visit.................he totally agreed that I had done the right thing, said despite all the things the Yard round the corner
had told me about the precautions they had been taking it was all a load
of B***shi*:stomp::stomp:

Luckily my two have fantastic feet and have bourne no damage to having
missed that visit, Sioned had two chunks out of her front foot, done on a
stone in the field the other day, but gone now:biggrin:

We had a discussion about Bert and his 'weight' and he agreed no signs
of laminitis but that he was definately overweight........sooo poor Bert
is now going to be worked everyday on the lunge, started today and put on restricted from tomorrow........tbh he hasn't been on restricted as yet cos
I haven't had any GRASS.....but now we have had the Rain I know it will
be shooting thro'..............don't think Bert is gonna be too happy:biggrin:

Going to try with electric fencing, if he keeps getting out he is going to
have to be shut in during the day I am afraid until we can get the wooden fencing up !!

Here he is 'rolling for England' after 10 minutes on the lunge tonight:bounce:
then coming to the stable looking for Rich Tea Biscuits...........No Bert, you
are on a diet.........I will eat them for you':biggrin:

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
How come you have a shed with the door open and Shetland pony in close vicinity, and the contendt of the shed are all in the shed and not outside in a heap with the pony building his means of escape into a field of mowing grass?

He wouldn't come in Wally because his headcollar was still on the floor
and he wasn't convinced I wasn't going to pick it up and work him
again:wink: Otherwise he comes in and almost sits on your lap but all with one eye on
the Rich Tea, lol !!

As for the 'escape' to a field of grass..........think that may be today cos
he certainly isn't going to be too happy about being restricted, oh well sorry Bert, lol !
Think as long as I keep well ''topped up' batteries in the unit it should
hold him in !

Last edited:
awh Bless - he will have a face like Acorn who has been shut in restricted area all last week, he can talk to the others over the fence but its not the same as we all know...... he had been running in a bigger area with the others and we had a lame scare so I took him off - like you next to nothing in the fields but you can never be too careful, as it is more likely he had just tweaked himself messing about, so as it is the rest from playfighting and hooning about with Charlie will have done him good, think I am going to let him go in with them overnight now hes had his trim and settled , we are doing long reining 3 to 4 nights a week a couple of miles at a time with walks on the other day - most of it is roadwork and it certainly helps with the weight control, although he has maintained his weight at around 150kg now since April last year - went up to 155kg middle of winter when stabled overnight and couldn't get him the exercise level he needed - but soon dropped off when I did. I still feed him x2 a day for vits etc and he has 1/4 flap of hay morning and night when he is in his restricted area, there is grass growing in there but with the hay as well its keeping him balanced. Hes full of beans today which is why I think best let him with the others tonight and get some energy off - otherwise he will be a little :poop: when I want to do anything with him.
How big is bert and what does he come out on the weigh tape just out of interest ?

To be honest Lemme I don't know what he weighs...........must get a weight tape. These pictures don't actually do very well at showing his weight at all
and although he has never shown any signs of lami I want to keep it that way.

Now the 'all clear' has been given for strangles immediately in our Area I am quite happy to get them out and about again and he will be long reined or
lunged daily.

Plan on keeping him in a restricted Area during the day and letting him out
overnight initially and see how we go from there. I am planning on splitting my field now we have had the rain, so even Sioned will be slightly restricted now. Bert too will have hay and be fed some Happy Hoof with a general purpose supplement, but nothing else !

Size wise..........between 10 - 11hh, prob nearer the 11hh. IF the electric fencing fails to hold him
then he will be stabled during the day !

I give them hay daily anyway tbh as have next to no grass, but Bert being Bert is finding something somewhere, lol.

The Area on the pics is outside the stables and gate and I purposely keep this Area more or less grass free, there are 'bits' coming thro'
but I am sure Bert will clear all those for me in the next few days, lol, cos this is the bit he will be restricted on.

Last edited:
I have to start restricting our shettie, not convinced the muzzle will stay on very long though as he was caught trying to remove my cob's fly mask yesterday! Little blighter. Luckily he respects electric fencing so i can see some fencing off happening.

He's lovely bless him - its so difficult to tell from the pic wether he was full up at 10.2hh or not - Acorn is only 36 and a blip - 37 if he pulls him self up when showing off and hes 150kg.

didn't think bert looked too bad I have seen a lot lot worse where bert might even be titled slim if up against them , suprising what upping the exercise will do to change his body shape , I only have to not exercise for a couple of days and the tummy shape drops - on him not me - don't think I will ever have any excess weight walking all these miles week!

He is lovely, lovely character, mischevious rather than naughty.

I call him 'fat man' tbh and have joked about his weight, however I would
be devastated if down to my bad management he suffered so time has
come to take some action. He IS beginning to feel a bit 'cresty' ! Think he got away with it last
year due to age more than anything and I did restrict them both. I am sure with a few hours restriction in the
day and upping the exercise he will lose it quite quickly........fingers 'X'd'.

He actually lunges well compared to Sioned, will be 4 next month so can
handle more time on the lunge or long reining, I am sure he will throw a
few 'hissy fits' lol, but thankfully they last all of 2 seconds then you see him turn the 'light in his brain' on and
he realises 'quicker I do this, quicker she will let me go' lol x !

Another bonus being when I take Bert out, Sioned runs up and down thereby exercising herself !

Off now to 'sort' him :bounce:

Last edited:
newrider.com