Snuggyhood pro's!?

vels mum

Jul 1, 2008
Shetland
Vel snuggyhood came today, its a perfect fit. I was a little worried it would be too big around the face but fits him perfectly but I have a few questions.

1. Where do you put their forelock? I put vels behind his ear as was worried it would cover the eye hole, but wonder if this would be uncomfortable for him.

2. Have you ever found the chest strap has come undone? Its only a velcro strap, also does it have to be really tight?

3. Can you use the snuggyhood with a standard rug (no neck). I was worried if it was a really wet night it would soak through and horse would get chilled.

4. Should I plait or tie his mane in a way that it stays in one place or just leave loose under the hood?

5. Have you ever found the hood has moved so much the eye hole has moved and your horse cant see - that is a big worry to me but I dont think it would happen!?

Last edited:
Hi Snuggy hoods are great.
I use a lycra snuggy hood before shows but the only have them on indoors/travelling
Normally they are plaited up but sometimes left natural and I just pull the forelock to centre and it rarely moves.

I assume it's a turnout hood you are talking about wearing with an outdoor rug and I imagine they don't hold water?? don't have them so not sure but call them and ask.

Oh and I have had them move on the odd occasion on one particular fidgity pony but surprisingly she didn't seem bothered

Is it s turnout or lycra? Leave the forelock flat in normal place, same for mane it will help train it down.

Its a turnout, aparently exactly the same material as the sweet itch hoodies. It doesnt feel to be waterproof but says on the bag its showerproof.

Oh the turnout hoods are lovely - totally mud and s*** proof!

It won't slippy, Snuggy Hoods are a reputable brand for that.

newrider.com