Snow! It can't just be me....

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
...who hates the stuff!
Weather warning in place today for snow. Supposed to be coming in overnight, but I am sat at work looking at a very snowy looking sky and panicking. I hate everything about it, but especially diving in it. I have two options to get to/from work. The quick way is 12 miles and about 9 miles of that is over very exposed moorland roads. The longer way is 15 miles of which 12 miles are main A roads and motorway but then the very last mile is up a very steep windy road, which I actually got stuck on last year in the snow!

I also hate not being on hand to feed the ponies extra hay if they are miserable, or even to bring them in if it is very bad.

I know I will be checking out of the window every hour or so overnight to see if it have been snowing.
Anyone else hate it or do you love it?

I don't mind it too much, though I hate the slushy mess it leaves when it melts off. I drive 12 miles to work but its all pretty sheltered forest A & B roads and we get a 2 hour delayed report in time if its much on the ground. If its that bad that they lock down at work and we don't go in the ponies are walking distance from home so that's easy enough :) For anything other than the horses I just won't go out in the car if its bad, its not worth risking my neck to get somewhere.

I'm actually itching for decent snow this year because I want Hank to be a sled pony :p

I hated snow when we lived in the Ribble Valley, we seemed to get two bad winters one after the other and the drifts where we lived were just awful. I don't miss it! Apparently up here it does not often stick.
We always had Land Rovers and still managed to get stuck in it. When we had to drive to work in Clitheroe from our old house I used to be very panicked and worried about getting back to sort the horses, specially when Joe was still alive as he never coped well with being left out too long. I feel your pain @Star the Fell and hope it does not come to much at your place!

I'm with you - I hate it! I'm lucky in that I can work from home if I need too, but I hate not being able to go where I want, when I want....

I just up the rug weights and that's it. I can walk to Kia if I have or cycle, having the 4x4 is very handy though :)

I'm another who hates it, I love to see it but I can't stand driving in it, even a 4x4 won't help when it's packed down and frozen! I don't have far to drive to the yard and if I had to I could walk it but I still don't like it.

Reactions: Trewsers
We got it bad one year and even our Landrover 90 hardtop got stuck and that was coming down a hill not up!!! I had to shovel us out - lol the horses were amused tho as they watched me trundle through the yard - they were okay until they got stilettoes of snow under hoof.......

Having written off a car in the snow years ago, I hate driving in it. Luckily when we had those two bad winters a few years ago we had a Pajero and that thing was brilliant in the snow, although we don't have steep hills and I didn't have to battle through deep drifts. It's the only time I've actually enjoyed driving in the snow though.

I do love it on those rare days when the sun is shining following a heavy snowfall overnight and when you put the horses out they're all snorty and playful. The rest of the time it can stay away for me.

Snowing tonight here. Don;t mind driving in it, running in it or playing in it. But it's hard to ride in it so I don't want any!

Me , it makes hard work harder, Takes 5 times longer to do all the animals

I don't mind driving in the snow although my current car is an auto I don't feel as I have as much control, however I used to car rally years back so used to skid control etc - what worries me is idiots driving to fast which may effect my safety.

Hate it. We managed to roll a Nissan Patrol after hitting a patch of icy snow a few years back. Ended up on the roof in a ditch.

We generally don't get much snow here. Too close to the coast. Which also means that when we do get it nobody is aactually ready for it!

I ALSO HATE SNOW!!!

Other than some nice scrapbooking photos of al the kids
I can totally do without it.
The 3 baby goats have never seen snow ok maybe the first snow
fall will be fun for them to see it for the first time.

Then I'm done with it.

newrider.com