Snaffles

Sierra

Jan 15, 2009
Essex
Bit of a stupid question, but is there any difference in severity of normal snaffle bits and french link snaffle bits? Is there any difference in their action at all, or just in how it sits in the mouth?

Thanks.

Snaffle bits are the term used for the large main ring of a bit; its usually the mouthpiece that is different. ie you can get straight mouthpieces ( are they called mullen?) single jointed, french link, ported, etc.

Trial and error I think as to which your horse likes. Not sure about the severity of them all, though I think the more joints the less servere?

You can get fixed rings, ie eggbutt, and loose ring. Loose rings are more flexible in the mouth.

Gag ( or bulbble bits :)) have two or more rings below the snaffle ring,and one above; hanging cheeks have one above for poll pressure.

There are sooooo many bits its mind boggling :D

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :p

I ride in a Jefferies revolver bit, lovely flexible mouth piece, its a gag, but I only ride on the snaffle ring

double links stop the nutcracker action so the bit doesnt hit the roof of the mouth.

for single joints at least, you can get different combinations, thin or thick mouthpiece (thin more pressure, but better for horses with not much room) loose joint more movement (but can pinch tongue in joint), tight joint not much movement.

newrider.com