Smelly food - WWYD?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
We have a granny flat attached to our house (totally separate apart from it shares our front door, the entrance to it is off our hall.) Our lodger is lovely, if a little eccentric, and we've never bothered with a long tenancy agreement because she was a friend of a friend, and on the whole it has worked well. The only thing is, she is obviously not a great cook, and last night she was cooking something that smelt so vile it stunk the whole house out, at 11.30pm! It smelt so horrible I thought there was something wrong with the drains. On reflection, I think it may have been some overcooked, burnt cabbage and lentil dish as she is always on a diet, and is also veggie. I want to say something as 11.30pm is really far too late to be cooking stinky food - and it happens quite often, I sometimes wonder if she is a secret stoner or something - but how do I phrase it tactfully? Just 'XXXX, please could you not cook smelly food late at night?' That's fair enough, right?Although I wouldn't mind it smelling if it actually smelt nice, it's the fact it smells like she's boiling rotting body parts that's the problem.

I'm rubbish at being tactful and would just come out with it myself. Sorry no help at all.

Lol I am no help at all! I probably wouldn't say anything. I never eat much before ten at night, but my food smells good (I hope!)

Just wanted to add: I've got all this sort of thing to look forward to haven't I?! When we start with our tenants just as soon as the work is finished on the renovations! Still, it should liven the place up a bit! :D

Personally, if I paid rent for a place I would expect to be able to cook what I want, when I want.....unless illegal lol
Whatever it is, it SHOULD be illegal! I am amazed that anyone could put anything that smells like that in their mouth. It smells like it should be coming out, not going in...

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Just wanted to add: I've got all this sort of thing to look forward to haven't I?! When we start with our tenants just as soon as the work is finished on the renovations! Still, it should liven the place up a bit! :D

She is lovely really. No trouble at all. Still I should have got a tenancy agreement in place - and will do next time - and as well as all the stuff about paying for damages outside of normal wear and tear, there would be a clause about no dismembered body parts in the house, no smoking, and no cooking smelly food in the middle of the night! You know, normal stuff. ;)

Maybe you need to discuss some house rules.... like main meals to be cooked at a sensible hour. If she wants to eat that late then that is her prerogative, but perhaps she'd be better to cook earlier in the evening and then bung a portion in the microwave that late at night. I'm sure she would object if you got up at 3am and started vacuuming..... it's having a bit of common sense and savvy really..... Maybe you should start with "What the HELL were you cooking last night?" ;) At least it would be a conversation starter..... and then you could tell us what it actually was! :p

Reactions: squidsin
I think personally Id be very peed if I was told when to cook and what I was allowed to cook if Im paying rent.

Reactions: Ruskii
ETA I had a lodger in our annexe some years ago, she was a young french girl who was doing some exchange work with my then partners company for 4 months. NEVER again !!! she was a pyscho ! it came to a head one night when she was running round our part of the house stark naked and then locked herself in our bathroom and overfilled the bath ! I chucked her out the house !! I think she was on something or a alchy !

ETA I had a lodger in our annexe some years ago, she was a young french girl who was doing some exchange work with my then partners company for 4 months. NEVER again !!! she was a pyscho ! it came to a head one night when she was running round our part of the house stark naked and then locked herself in our bathroom and overfilled the bath ! I chucked her out the house !! I think she was on something or a alchy !

Eeeek! No french students in our house then!lol

Reactions: Gimp
I don't really like that you have the right to tell her that she isn't allowed to cook at night. If she rents the place, she should therefore be allowed to cook whatever and whenever she likes.

I would however raise it during friendly conversation and try and make a light hearted joke out of it. Perhaps she just doesn't realise that everyone can smell what she cooks?

That's the thing - if she was cooking cakes or bacon sarnies or something delicious at midnight, I would be perfectly happy. It's just the death smell that's the problem. It keeps me awake, it's so horrible, and for some reason it's much worse upstairs - it rises in some weird way.

She is cooking IT again! I am upstairs in a totally seperate part of the house and it reeks! Nooooooo!

Reactions: Gimp
newrider.com