Smelly feet

Drummers mum

I love my pony!
Feb 1, 2004
Stratford-on-Avon
Visit site
When I pick out Drummers feet sometimes they smell horrid. I can't see anything wrong although with this wet weather his soles seem quite flakey and soft.

Any help appreciated. Oh and I do disinfect them but I have to say I'm not very religeous about it.:eek:

Could he have a touch of thrush? If they are smelly & a bit flaky then he probably has. The weather isn't helping at the moment. I buy hydrogen peroxide from the chemist & brush it into the frog & clefts with a hoof oil brush (a new one obviously) to make sure I get into every nook & cranny or you can also syringe it in.

I have this frog disinfectant, i can't remember the proper name of it but it is really strong. You just have to clean the foot, then apply it and it clears it up nicely.

Last edited:
You can get a cattle blue spray which disinefects the feet and clears up thrush. Just spray it on after you have picked out the feet. It will clear up quickly.

Or you could try a solution of tea tree oil diluted and brushed in.

Originally posted by Drummers mum
Is it in a little bottle with a nozzle on the top? I think a trip to the tack shop is in order. Yippee!!

Yeah, it is a small blue and white bottle. I'll check the name of it when I go to the yard this afternoon.

*edit* It is Keratex frog disinfectant

Last edited:
newrider.com