Smelly Droppings

Murphs

Oct 22, 2000
Pembrokeshire, West Wales
Can anyone tell me what would cause this - it's not my horse but my friends who is a companion to mine. Her droppings are quite loose and really smell horrible - she's just been wormed but doesn't seem to be making any difference. They are on good grazing but restricted due to being good doers (understatement of the year!). My mare's droppings are fine and pretty odourless - so any ideas?

Okay, somebody tell me what a horse poo is supposed to look and smell like?:D

So long as the horse is happy, active, alert, shiny coated, well covered etc. etc. why worry?

It will all vary from time of year, horse to horse, grazing/feeding..lots of factors.

Fat Cob at the moment is producing muck which would poison a skunk! yet he is on the same grazing as all his pals who are not half as offensive as he is! I think he does it just for effect!

Don't worry, if they are healthy and happy and the muck isn't caustic there can't be that much wrong.

If they are loosing condition or sluggish then you need to make enquiries.

hehe just foudnt his and thought it wa funyn ebcause i noticed the other day when i was clearing up after my cousin horse pooed that it smelt horrible!:pi mean it was quite off putting really..but there is nothing wrong with him..i just ut it down to the fact that he gets fed differerntly to myshare horse which is in a competley different yard!

Last edited:
You can tell with our two if they have just changed paddocks. Alos the field popile is pure poo as oppose to bedding and poo and the difference between grass fed poo and even haylage generated poo is striking. Mind you I would not want to poopick some of the haylage poo - you'd need a ladle!

horse poo

Horse poo comes in many varieties! Am I the only person in the country who receives parcels of individual pots of the stuff on a daily basis? Aren't I the lucky one.
We often speculate on the supplements a horse has been given as an aroma of garlic or herbs is evident.
I have to say that I have learnt to open all pots with the lid facing away from me, some can be almost explosive. Spring grass-yuk.

Thanks!

Ok i'll stop worrying - apart from being overweight from lack of exercise there's nothing obviously wrong with the horse. I'm sure i read somewhere that horse poo was supposed to be odourless(if you know what i mean!:rolleyes: ) but it's good to hear that there are other smelly pooers out there!!!!!!:p

newrider.com