Smallest pony I could have?

Jellybeans

May 29, 2008
Suffolk, UK
Hello,

I'm an 18 year old girl looking for my first pony, and want something small!! I'm nervous riding big horses but will do pretty much anything on the smaller ponies, and although they're often naughtier, that doesn't bother me. It's more a size thing.

Anyway - I'm wondering what's the smallest I could realistically get away with. I would want to ride at least every 2 days for between half an hour and an hour - maybe longer for gentle hacking, and go to very small local shows. I'd also like to jump, but nothing more than about 2'6". I'm 5'6" tall and weigh 8 stone.

Also, I want something slightly heavier and fluffy. None of these fine little ponies who look like they might snap when you sit on them.

Any ideas?

Any of the UK M&M, Haffy's (but be careful as Haffy's are not as easy going as they used to be)

A 13.2hh M&M of bone and substance would be fine

This is 5 foot 8 of me and 12.5 stone on my Haffy Stallion
lydiate-ash-show.jpg

And 13.3hh of me at the same height and weight
img247.jpg

Wally-no way you look 12.5 stone in those pictures!! Buy new scales?

I'd say anything from 13hh realistically just in terms of your height. At your height, weight and age, i shared a 12hh welshie, who was fab, and did all of the above that you describe you want to do as well as being stocky etc. But as much as i loved him, i wouldnt have bought him as my own, i personally felt he was a tad too small for me (we used to knock the bigger cross pole jumps- not due to his jumping, but due to my feet hitting them off!).

For local shows, i think you would need at least a 13hh pony...just in terms of 'looking right' (dont shoot me guys). Although you may well be fine on something smaller, there are issues with balance just in terms of your height in relation to the ponys height, which are accentuated the smaller they are.

So pretty much any native breed, you should be fine with..

Have you got any examples of ponies you have spotted online that you are thinking of/ like the look of?

Thanks for the replies guys. A 13hh - 13.2hh would be ideal and I was hoping I wouldnt be too big. Haven't really started looking properly yet as didnt want to fall in love with a pony that I would be too big for.

My only worry now would be whether people would be happy to sell their beloved little 13.2hh pony to an older teenager/adult.

Probably the type of pony id assume you would be looking for is most likely to be already owned by a teenager/young adult, or an experienced younger kid. Most native types in my experience are more likely to be owned by adults, and as long as you are light and a decent rider, i dont think that many people would think it was a real issue.

I assure you, when those pics were taken I was ( dream on now) 12 and a half stone!

I'd rather sell one of my lot to an older teenager/adult than a kid or an adult returning with vaugue images from their memory! ;)

If I could get back to 12.5 stone I could do that gladiators programme and mush them all to a pulp! :D :D :D

You could ride a 12.3 hand, well built Icelandic. I am 5'6" tall...and not as light as I used to be. But she takes up my leg really well.

dyframedaug07.jpg

newrider.com