Slowly growing up

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
Had a great little ride on Inca today!

I posted a little while ago about a bit of a manic ride we had where the combines were out and a pheasant was terrorising us in the school, we then had a nervy walk up and down the road.

Well today was almost the same setup, only it was the tractors ploughing the fields behind mine and there were five baby pheasants running riot in the school closely followed by two hyper kittens desperate to catch one!

She didn't so much as bat an eyelid!

She was very lively to bring in from the field yesterday so I just did some loose schooling basic walk, trot, canter transitions off my voice then went for a mooch in hand round the stubble field.

It's nice that she's starting to connect her experiences together now, there's just something about her mentality that is starting to feel like she's a bit more grown up. Totally different from the pony she was last year! I'm so glad we waited a while before fully backing her!

I don't know hoe you guys do and cope with all the youngster things and backing. How old is Inca now?

Pleased for you that today was better I remember your last thread

She's 5yo now, she was a bit of a devil as a youngster so there wasn't much point backing and schooling at the usual ages as it wouldn't have got anyone anywhere. We had all sorts of shenanigans between the ages of 3 and 4, so just plodded on with groundwork and manners and she was finally ready at 5.

newrider.com