Slowly getting my courage back

K

kturner

Hacked him out alone today as child sharer was ill, too many situps at school gave her a sore stomach, she is at secondary now, so she may start to come less an less. She;s away this weekend as well.

The yard owner and other horse owner and husband were there, and I started tacking up without thinking, then started getting nervous about going on my own, usually one of the kids is with me. But it was too late they had all seen me tacking up. One of them held him at the top of the drive which I avoid because it is steep and gravel (feet), and I had to get on at the wall and ride off into the sunset as they were all there!!!

Talk about backing yourself into a corner, he only gave one little buck and a tickle with the crop reminded him to behave and off we went. He was very good, except for jumping 4 foot at every pothole. It was his first time without kids to follow and lots of chatting going on so I think we were both feeling insecure. He shied about 3 times, once nearly turning all the way round, but stayed in walk, that is when I did another 30 feet forwards and turned back. Same happened going home, only went to the top of the road, less than 1/4 mile, but I will stick to my motto of 'little and often', I am sure my courage will come flooding back one of these days. Afterall we had an unplanned canter in the field the other day and he stopped when asked to.

So I achieved my dream of a sunset walk on my little monster. Although short, I am sure they will get longer, the wind was up as well. He may feel more secure at the weekend if the sun comes out and it is nice and warm and he is more chilled.

He is surprisingly easy to stay on now, I think the sidereins stop him diving about and I am using a proper saddle instead of bareback pad with stirrups, so that part is probably my fault anyway.

That's great, you must be feeling more confident, i love it when you try something with some apprehension and it goes OK! Think the 'little and often' strategy is a good one, hope it keeps going well! Not done my first solo yet so something to aim for......

Well done! Little and often is the best way - you'll soon be back to your old self.

Having lost my nerve on my youngster last year it is amazing how apparently simple things like getting to the top of the road and back on your own give you the biggest cheshire cat type of grin.

Well Done you !!!
I had exactly the same situation, although now once i am out of the gate ( sometimes takes a smack or two) he has now settled down and is relaxing quicker.So perservere and you will get there. Just try to be positive and remember he will be picking up vibes from you. My instructor told me to trot past anything that he found scary the last time as he will have less time to think about it - it worked!
My new aim is to get him to canter round the school and 20m circles, scary as i am not the most balanced rider and he is still finding his feet! Trouble is being the big lad he is it seems to only take two strides to reach the end of the school!! I dont seem to get relaxed into his canter before i have then think turn, turn, turn!!!! or OMG we are going to crash!!
Keep us posted on your progress and keep hold of the courage!!!

Big pats and a packet of polo's for that girl.:D:D

I can sympathise with your nervousness. Atm I am looking for a share horse, and because of the times that I can go and ride, I know that I am mostly going to be on my own, so the hacking out solo is a big concern of mine too.

I've only just started riding again after a 10 year break, and I'm sure that I had loads more courage when I was a kid. I didn't think twice about taking my old mare out on our own. Mind you she was a star and always looked after me. Saying that though, as with most horses, she would occasionally decide that crisp packets in the hedge were actually 10 foot monsters and make mad dashes up the rd to get away from them.
I used to find myself chatting to my horse on the way up the rd. Just random stuff mostly, but it did break the monotony and silence, although I did used to get strange looks from passers by.:eek:

Just keep on trying though. A little at a time, one day you'll wonder why you were so worried.

Well done you.

The weather has been against us so havent ridden again since "spooking at potholes thread".

Child sharer went on him briefly in the field this week, and again on the road today, but it was getting dark, wind was up, rain was coming back. I always have her on the leadrein on the road, and good job I did today, he was hungry wanted to get into the stable not to be going out.

He was on his toes all the way, kept breaking into trot, I think he was hoping I would let go so he could gallop back. We only went to the top of the road and turned round, it wasn't very pleasant but we want to keep him in practice.

I think we will stick to middle of the day at the weekend and forget during the week, and just let him go in to eat. He is much quieter on a full tummy if we go out. Only walk and trot and less than a mile so he wont get colic, chaff only anyway.

Will see what this week brings weather wise, I want to get on again soon. Believe it will be a cold and windy week again.:eek:

newrider.com