slightly lame horse

emilymachin

May 15, 2019
my mare is slightly lame on her front right leg. She’s only a little short when walking and trotting in a straight line but it’s much more noticeable when she’s turning. I’m the worst with knowing what’s what when it comes to lameness but people have told me it looks to be coming from her shoulder.

i first noticed it about two and a half weeks ago after she had been out for a few hours, i kept her in her stable for a week and there was a bit of improvement but then summer turnout started and i genuinely think she’d do more damage to herself staying in then going out with the others (she has jumped out before and she would do it again!) but with her tearing round it just went back to how it was at the start.

Things aren’t getting any better so i was wondering what other people think is best, just keep her in? Should i get the vet out for such minor lameness? in the time i’ve had horses i’ve never had one go lame before so i’m not sure what’s best. Thanks :)

I'd get the vet - better to know what to do, rather than guess. Could be just rest and bute, but at least you'll know. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Reactions: emilymachin
Vet might be first port of call. Stable rest and bute could be good then progress to a small electric fenced paddock where she can be out eating grass and see friends but cant run around too much. Nothing to stop you just moving the taped paddock around the field each day.

Reactions: emilymachin
Given it's been a few weeks and neither box rest or field rest have resolved it then I would definitely be having the vet out especially as you are unsure where the problem is coming from.

newrider.com