Sleep Tight The Big Yin

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
An ancient Hebridean sheep, going to the butcher but taken off the trailer as her owner couldnt do it. She came to us to be company for Spencer our last sheep when his friends died. She was fiercely wild and independent, and loved her life here. She was a bugger to catch to shear, and collapsed on Saturday, managed to get her into the donkey field shelter and propped her up with a bale of straw and wrapped her in Aimee donkey's warm rug. She wouldn't eat and was alive last night and slept away during the night, better than the knackerman coming for her. I couldn't despatch her as I didn't own her and i reckon sleeping away in the warm was better. She was around 18 years old and she began to fail a week ago, I said to her owner this is going to be her last winter. She was flat out on saturday afternoon, couldn't get up managed to drag, support her to get her inside out of the weather and make her comfortable - unheard of for her as she was wild and not happy to be handled. She died as she lived an independent free spirit and i am glad she had 6 years with us with 7 acres to run around and just do what she wanted. Would never eat hay or sheep food, she lived on the land. I bought her a bag of food last year, nope didn't want it. A darling old lady.

newrider.com