Sleep tight old girl

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
All the horse welfare issues, but this one got to me. A 25 year old mare, heavily in foal, being raced in a sulky in Ireland, She was seized and taken in by a rescue. Managed to have her foal, poor skinny old lady. Nursed it for a day and then she died, leaving behind a day old filly foal. What the fuck is wrong with folks in Ireland? This is happening daily, Ireland is like bloody Romania in terms of welfare but hasn't the excuses of extreme poverty and lack of education and history of government.

I hope they manage to prosecute the owners but pretty unlikely. This is happening daily in Ireland, horses being tied up and left to die, so many of them come in and don't make it, it's an epidemic. Poor girl 25 years of shit at least you are in peace now.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
That's made me cry. What makes people behave like this? Poor girl, be free now.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
This problem in Ireland is an ongoing and endless litany of abuse - - but I can assure you it is not the standard or acceptable level of general horse care here in Ireland.

This is a problem 99 per cent of the time with our population of ethnic minority travellers, some who still live on sites, and some who now live in settled authority houses or designated sites. They appear to be untouchable when it comes to animal abuse. Apparently, according to them, all the stuff we see as abuse is in fact their traditional way of life with their animals and nothing to do with the rest of society:rolleyes:. But I have it on good authority that you have the same problems in the UK with this particular group and their abuse of horses and dogs.

These people are NOT true Romanies - they are low life scumbag travellers with no genuine tradition or interest or knowledge of true horsemanship. I have visited the home of a genuine Irish Romany gypsy on a couple of occasions - he has a yard full of stunning traditional heavy cob stallions in almost every colour you could wish for, and fields full of broodmares and young stock. They are extremely well cared for, his stock is in high demand all over the world for very high prices. He is angry and ashamed that his people are being tarred with the same brush as the scumbags that race these broken down trotters up and down our motorways and often just leave them for dead when they collapse. Far worse goes on than the horrible and tragic end for this poor old horse. Many dont even make it past 18 months when they are racing.

Just setting the record straight from this side of the pond.:(

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
This problem in Ireland is an ongoing and endless litany of abuse - - but I can assure you it is not the standard or acceptable level of general horse care here in Ireland.

This is a problem 99 per cent of the time with our population of ethnic minority travellers, some who still live on sites, and some who now live in settled authority houses or designated sites. They appear to be untouchable when it comes to animal abuse. Apparently, according to them, all the stuff we see as abuse is in fact their traditional way of life with their animals and nothing to do with the rest of society:rolleyes:. But I have it on good authority that you have the same problems in the UK with this particular group and their abuse of horses and dogs.

These people are NOT true Romanies - they are low life scumbag travellers with no genuine tradition or interest or knowledge of true horsemanship. I have visited the home of a genuine Irish Romany gypsy on a couple of occasions - he has a yard full of stunning traditional heavy cob stallions in almost every colour you could wish for, and fields full of broodmares and young stock. They are extremely well cared for, his stock is in high demand all over the world for very high prices. He is angry and ashamed that his people are being tarred with the same brush as the scumbags that race these broken down trotters up and down our motorways and often just leave them for dead when they collapse. Far worse goes on than the horrible and tragic end for this poor old horse. Many dont even make it past 18 months when they are racing.

Just setting the record straight from this side of the pond.:(
We had a family like that nearby who used to close the A27 for their races and who 'trained' their poor bloody horses on the lane outside our house. Police and planners avoided them, but if you wanted to do build stables in our garden you had to go through the hoops unlike them. They weren't proper romanies, in fact I bought Sasa from a gypsy trader. There are welfare problems over here, but we don't generally have them in housing estates and roaming loose all over the place.

• Love
Reactions: Native Lover

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
We used to have an extended Romany family that travelled round the area when I was a child. Their love and care for their horses was amazing, and they were happy to share some of their knowledge with us children as we rode by. The farmers would save work for them to do and I know at least one local yard would keep anything they thought may be tricky to break for them to start - watching them as a child it was almost magical seeing big sharp/opinionated youngsters quickly chill out and go along with what was asked.

I still remember the day my pony took violent exception to one that was tethered on the verge, he was up and declaring war. They came out to see what the racket was just as I'd got off and was trying to move him sidewards away from his target - I was never so grateful for help! Turns out the horse was a stallion, and mine was late cut and never quite forgot. They showed me a few helpful hints, helped me get him past and then one of them walked back to the yard with me (I was only 13) to check I got back ok. The next day there was an invite at the yard to come down for tea and cake, and meet their horses!

There are so few of the old horsemen about now, and what a loss they are.

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I too hate that true Romanies are tarred with the travellers that think there Gypsies.
I knew a family of Romanies in the North East settled yes but still with land and horses. The horses were in fabulous condition and well looked after. Often shown with pride at local shows. They had several stunningly carved Bowtops too.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
It's a pity that the authorities are unwilling to touch the communities which cause all the issues. Horses running loose in housing estates is a no no if only on road traffic and pedestrian safety grounds never mind animal welfare grounds. I have several romanian cats and there is little to choose between the conditions in both countries in terms of flouting of basic care of animals. But the Romanians do have the excuse of abject poverty.

Reactions: Huggy

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I honestly don't understand what prevents the authorities, including the police, from doing anything about this. It feels as if someone knows where the bodies are buried! Why such double standards? It defeats me.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I suspect the police are worried about their safety unless they go in in large numbers, and possible retaliation. There would also probably be all sorts of headlines about police brutality, discrimination, waste of resources etc - the police can't win.