Skewbald thoroughbred racing in UK - Info wanted

HorseyGames

Gamer
Jul 12, 2008
The Web
There has been quite a stir going on with a thoroughbred raced in Devon, who is in fact - Skewbald!

Anybody have video footage of this?
My dad seen it on TV and as he is deeply into racing and is used to seeing the usual bays, grey, chestnuts and blacks.. this came as quite a surprise to him :p

I have found an article here;
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/kennedy-continues-a-colourful-campaign-872844.html

The horse goes by the name of Honeypot Splenda pictured below;
hps_2th.jpg

Further information would be great, i'm curious :D

Sounds as though the breeders are tying to create coloured thoroughbreds who are succesful on the track, unfortunately I believe the horse was pulled up - out run. It still, is very interesting to read - I've never heard of this in British racing.

It's not a full thoroughbred mind. They can't be coloured. :D

Last edited:
Both 'I've been framed' and that foal look like loud sabino to me?? Where's Chev?! I've seen american thoroughbreds with this colouring, but though they appear coloured the chances of their foals having the same amount of white aren't great?

I'd be very suspect of that Honeypot TB.... after 100's of years of extensive thoroughbred breeding, new colours don't just appear :rolleyes:

If it is true :confused: well thats all the breed needs, not only will it be intensively bred for all its athletic traits but now colour aswell :rolleyes: Whoopdeedo.

There are a couple of coloured racehorses in the US - no idea what breed but they are beating TBs and being pretty successful according to the article I was reading. Will try and find it

Coloured TBs have been around for a few years in the US; try this site for just about every variation you could wish for...

In truth to get a tobiano TB you have to introduce tobiano (non-TB) blood. Honeypot Splenda's breeding is listed on site as "Sire Ayyabaan TB x Fidlantia 7/8/ TB" - the 1/8 I would guess is where the colour came from.

The other looks like frame, not sabino (could be wrong though) - again, it will have been introduced somehwere along the line using non-TB blood initially. Then you breed TB and eventually you get your coloured 'full' TB - it's a similar thing to the Pintabian breeding that gives you 99.5% Arab breeding with pinto markings. The difference is that the AHS won't recognise high percentage pintabians where Wetherby's seems to be recognising high percentage TBs for registration.

You know, a few years ago I caught gossip about people trying to breed coloured TB's. Since then I have not heard anything more and have yet to see any on the tracks.....:confused: It will be bizarre to see coloureds. Personally I think it's just to do with the fad with coloureds at present, can;t peeps leave horses be the colour they naturally are. haha :D

The other looks like frame, not sabino (could be wrong though) - again, it will have been introduced somehwere along the line using non-TB blood initially.
Does it *have* to have been?
The frame horse is entirely from registered TB stock - his grandam Patchy Lassy is the apparent source of the color : visibly sabino and obviously a minimally expressed frame too (as she's produced frames from more than one stallion)
http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/pintotbs.html
her pedigree

Which isn't to say the frame gene didn't sneak in somewhere along the line after the books were offically 'closed' through someone records having been *ahem* less than accurate ;), just that if it did it may have been quite a while back. It's also possible that the gene really was there already, just being passed down either without comment, or only through the less loudly colored carriers. (after all, the Jockey Club's insistance that TB's only come in a handful of colors has meant that a good number of TB's of unusal color just plain got registered as the nearest thing to what they really are (never mind all the greys registered as "roan" :rolleyes: )

There another bit on the same website about the splash white gene having turned up in a couple TB's in New Zealand.

Actually True Colors farm who you linked to bought one of the NZ splash whites it seems

The frame gene could have been introduced years and years ago - like you say, a minimal frame could have snuck in unnoticed much more easily than tobiano. It seems likely that it's been around for a while because it's present in several lines now.

Yeah, even minimal tobiano usually still looks like a tobiano. Though I did see a photo once of a tobiano so minimal as to have slipped by 'unnoticed'* - I think it was in a magazine article about the history of QH cropouts registered as paint or appy? But the QH books were really only closed to all outside blood other than TBs relatively recently (as compared to the TB) so don't think it really stayed hidden that the bloodline in question had the tobiano gene for that long. That is, if my memory of where the pic was is even accurate! My understandng of the early days of the various stock-breed registries in the US is that there was certainly a bit of breeding good ranch horses and then just registering the offspring with the registry that the color fit when the registries were still open going on.

Last edited:
newrider.com