skateboarders on roads or pavements, the law

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Anyone got any clues as to the laws on this.

there is a section of road that gets used by skateboarders coming down it in the centre of the road. my pony is very upset by this, so what happens if i should have accident as a result or back into something etc.

does this apply if they are on the pavements whizzing down or not?

Surely its under some law for disregard for safety.

Like at work in the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 it's your duty as an employee to look after they health and safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your actions.

There would defo be one for the general public to animals, property, people etc.

Sorry probably not any help! I've only studied law in construction I'm afraid.

i thought there would be something.

once they are on route they can't even stop and do it in middle of the road so have disregard for traffic as well

i dont know the answer but why not try the local council or the police, just ask for advise.. and have you asked the kids to stop while you go past? it might work?? we go past lots of kids- bikes, basketball court, football pitch, and we always call out nicely " guys, could you let us get past please?" and they all seem happy to do that for us, we say thanks- its ok now, and then they resume activities

I agree with lynnemh, to ask them to let you past.
Theres probably not much you can do, I say live and let live. They will probably upset your horse just as much from the pavements as the road. If your horse is scared, could you not go about doing some bombproofing towards skateboards because we can't just remove everything horses are scared of. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, if you ask nicely they'll probably oblige. I found that some mini moto riders near my old yard were great, really obliging when I used to hack past. They never were rude or anything, just used to stop for us and then carry on when were were well past.

to add to it; i always just ask and explain if theres time, in any situation, because if the person(s) arent horsey, they just dont have a clue- the fact your horse is acting up near them, just doesnt compute into thier brain as " that horse is scared of what im doing- maybe i should stop"! if on the other hand , they are obnoxious,and dont want to stop , i can say "well, if you dont stop and my horse tramples your nice shiny bike, dont blame me!" and that seems to work as well! but i find if you smile 99% of the time people are nice.

Yeah a good point, I have to be honest and say I have never had anyone
I have asked to stop doing something because of a Horse say NO;)

You can't bombproof for everything but I usually find if you are pleasant, and
explain if you have the time, most people are more than obliging.

Sioned is a bit scared of cyclists but I asked one if she could have a look
at his bike and he was more than happy to help.........bit embarassing after
she had given it a good sniff, and HIM, lol, and then started trying to
CHEW his handlebars:p;)

I have asked a police officer friend about this, and he says that there is no law to stop skateboards being used on the road. In the event of an accident the rider would have to make a civil claim against the skateboarder as they are not breaking the law.

I have to say that I would either have a word with them, or avoid them altogether.

newrider.com