size 14 butt - is a 16 1/2 saddle going to be too small?

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
Hi, question is in the title. Archie really needs a 16 1/2 saddle but I wonder if this is going to be too small for me?

Managed to get a loan of a nice GFS which we are going to try tomorrow - the barefoot that I have been using on him is just a wee bit too long so has to go...

I'm a size 14 and 16.5 is too small for me, really need a 17inch. Any smaller I find I'm sitting on the back and weight is in the wrong place. Your bum might be a different shape to mine though. :D

Thanks - I was thinking along the lines of a 17 inch but I've been told - nope he def needs a 16.5. The GFS seems to have a decent sized seat so I'll give it a go.

hi i am also a 14 and in a 17 to 17 and a half inch saddle, as for what to do they only thing i can think of is to try a treeless saddle ?:confused::confused:? or get used to riding bare back lol, apart from that i havent got a clue :confused:

Im 44 years old and use a 16.5inch saddle ! Anything loger bridges on my short sway backed veteran welsh D. I am about 10 1/2 stone as way overweight and a size 14 but not huge in the bum department as my weights on my tum.

I had this problem with TC, he is shortcoupled so can only manage a 18" saddle but me (as a fatty!!) needed a fraction bigger.

The solution was to get a saddle with a straight cut head which gives an extra inch in the seat.

My saddle is a Swain and Humphries Holistic which cost a fortune new (more than TC!!) but can be sent back to the saddler to be adjusted as your horse changes shape so you won't have to buy a new one.

You can pick them up secondhand for £300-£400.

Otherwise you need to look for saddles that are straight across at the pommel, not cut back - that gives you the extra room....

Probably totally useless information but I have just bought a Robinson's treeless 17-17.5 because I tried my friends 16 -16.5 but felt a bit squashed. They come with a one size pad and even do a 18-18.5 saddle. The only thing that varies is the actual seat size and my saddle takes up the same amount of space as my friend's 16 yet gives me room and is ideal for my short backed arab.
Hope this makes some sense.

i am a size 14 and when i have ridden daughters pony in 16.5 inch saddle have felt really unsafe, like i was hanging over it,

Well, tried a 16.5 and it looked and felt ok for me, unfortunately - it didn't fit the horse so its back to square one!! have various others to try in 16.5 and 17 and have someone coming out on monday to give me an experts view so will wait and see. thanks for everyones help:)

Some treeless saddles, like the trekker dressage/endurance and the startrekk dressage, give a short base for the horse, but give a larger seat for the rider, so work really well with adults riding ponies:)

No Angel. I actually prefer treeless but neither of the barefoot saddles I have fit him as too long in the base (london and cheyenne). I'll maybe look at the two you've suggested - thanks

newrider.com